Slavery troubled me as long as I can remember in a way it never troubled my father,
从我记事起 奴隶制就一直困扰我 远远超过它对我父亲的困扰
though he hated it, in his own fashion.
尽管我父亲用自己的方式憎恨奴隶制
He knew no small holding dirt farmer could compete with slave plantations.
他知道拥有小块土地的农夫 无法与拥有奴隶种植园的奴隶主匹敌
He took us out from Kentucky to get away from them. He wanted Indiana kept free.
他带我们离开肯塔基州 离开那些人 他希望在印第安纳州保持中立
He wasn't a kind man,but there was a rough moral urge for fairness, for freedom in him.
他不是个仁慈的人 但是发自内心对公正最原始的渴求 驱使他追求自由
I learnt that from him, I suppose,if little else from him.
我想这是我从他身上学到的东西 如果说我从他身上学到了什么的话
We didn't care for one another, Mr. Yeaman.
我们从未关心过对方 伊曼先生
Well, I'm sorry to hear that.Loving kindness,that most ordinary thing came to me
听到这些 我很难过 爱与仁慈 这些生活中无处不在的东西
from other sources.I'm grateful for that.
总让我心怀感激
I I hate it, too, sir.slavery, but,but we're entirely unready for emancipation.
我 我也厌恶它 先生 我恨奴隶制 但是 但是我们还没有为解放做好准备
There's too many questions We're unready for peace too, ain't we?
还有太多的问题 我们也没有为和平做好准备 不是吗
Yeah, when it comes,it'll present us with conundrums and
当和平到来的时候 我们会遇到各种棘手的难题
dangers greater than any we've faced during the war,bloody as it's been.
甚至是同战争时一样多的鲜血 更大的危险 同样的鲜血淋漓
We'll have to extemporize and experiment with what it is, when it is.
我们需要根据实际情况来尝试及调整 才能找到最佳的方法和时机
I read your speech, George.Negroes and the vote, that's a puzzle.
我读了你的演讲稿 乔治 黑人和选举权 真是个难题
No, no, but-but-but but Negroes can't um vote, Mr. Lincoln.
不 不 但是 但黑人不能 有权投票 林肯先生