手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 双语有声读物 > 月亮和六便士 > 正文

月亮和六便士(MP3+中英字幕) 第十二章(5)

来源:可可英语 编辑:ivy   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码可进行跟读训练
  下载MP3到电脑  [F8键暂停/播放]   批量下载MP3到手机

Do you mean to say you didn't leave your wife for another woman?

“你是说你不是因为另外一个女人才离开你妻子?”
Of course not.
“当然不是。”
On your word of honour?
“你敢发誓?”
I don't know why I asked for that. It was very ingenuous of me.
我不知道为什么我这样要求他。我问这句话完全没有动脑子。
On my word of honour.
“我发誓。”
Then, what in God's name have you left her for?
“那么你到底是为什么离开她的?”
I want to paint.
“我要画画儿。”
I looked at him for quite a long time. I did not understand. I thought he was mad. It must be remembered that I was very young, and I looked upon him as a middle-aged man. I forgot everything but my own amazement.
我半天半天目不转睛地盯着他。我一点儿也不理解。我想这个人准是疯了。读者应该记住,我那时还很年轻,我把他看做是一个中年人。我除了感到自己的惊诧外什么都不记得了。
But you're forty.
“可是你已经四十了。”
That's what made me think it was high time to begin.
“正是因为这个我才想,如果现在再不开始就太晚了。”
Have you ever painted?
“你过去画过画儿吗?”
I rather wanted to be a painter when I was a boy, but my father made me go into business because he said there was no money in art. I began to paint a bit a year ago. For the last year I've been going to some classes at night.
“我小的时候很想作个画家,可是我父亲叫我去作生意,因为他认为学艺术赚不了钱。一年以前我开始画了点儿画。去年我一直在夜校上课。”
Was that where you went when Mrs. Strickland thought you were playing bridge at your club?
“思特里克兰德太太以为你在俱乐部玩桥牌的时间你都是去上课吗?”
That's it.
“对了。”
Why didn't you tell her?
“你为什么不告诉她?”
I preferred to keep it to myself.
“我觉得还是别让她知道好。”
Can you paint?
“你能够画了吗?”
Not yet. But I shall. That's why I've come over here. I couldn't get what I wanted in London. Perhaps I can here.
“还不成。但是我将来能够学会的。正是为了这个我才到巴黎来。在伦敦我得不到我要求的东西。也许在这里我会得到的。”
Do you think it's likely that a man will do any good when he starts at your age? Most men begin painting at eighteen.
“你认为象你这样年纪的人开始学画还能够学得好吗?大多数人都是十八岁开始学。”
I can learn quicker than I could when I was eighteen.
“如果我十八岁学,会比现在学得快一些。”
What makes you think you have any talent?
“你怎么会认为自己还有一些绘画的才能?”
He did not answer for a minute. His gaze rested on the passing throng, but I do not think he saw it. His answer was no answer.
他并没有马上回答我的问题。他的目光停在过往的人群上,但是我认为他什么也没有看见。最后他回答我的话根本算不上是回答。
I've got to paint.
“我必须画画儿。”
Aren't you taking an awful chance?
“你这样做是不是完全在碰运气?”
He looked at me. His eyes had something strange in them, so that I felt rather uncomfortable.
这时他把目光转到我身上。他的眼睛里有一种奇怪的神情,叫我觉得不太舒服。
How old are you? Twenty-three?
“你多大年纪?二十三岁?”
It seemed to me that the question was beside the point. It was natural that I should take chances; but he was a man whose youth was past, a stockbroker with a position of respectability, a wife and two children. A course that would have been natural for me was absurd for him. I wished to be quite fair.
我觉得他提这个问题与我们谈的事毫不相干。如果我想碰碰运气做一件什么事的话,这是极其自然的事;但是他的青年时代早已过去了,他是一个有身份有地位的证券经纪人,家里有一个老婆、两个孩子。对我说来是自然的道路在他那里就成为荒谬悻理的了。但是我还是想尽量对他公道一些。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
understand [.ʌndə'stænd]

想一想再看

vt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为<

 
ingenuous [in'dʒenjuəs]

想一想再看

adj. 坦白的,正直的,天真的

联想记忆
uncomfortable [ʌn'kʌmftəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 不舒服的,不自在的

 
absurd [əb'sə:d]

想一想再看

adj. 荒唐的
n. 荒唐

联想记忆
respectability [ris.pektə'biliti]

想一想再看

n. 受尊重

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。