She's just ten feet yonder.I'd like to keep my job.
她只有10尺远 我可不想丢了饭碗
Senator Sumner, it has been much too long.
萨姆纳议员 好久不见
Oh, who can look on that celestial face and James Ashley, ma'am,
您真是美艳动人 这位是詹姆斯·阿什利 女士
We've met several times. Praise Heavens, praise Heavens,
感谢上苍 感谢上苍 我们见过几次
just when I had abandoned hope of amusement,It's the Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee.
我还以为今晚会十分无趣呢 这不是众议院筹款委员会主席吗
Mrs. Lincoln.Madame President if you please.
林肯太太 请称呼我第一夫人
Oh, don't convene another subcommittee to investigate me, sir.
千万别派下属委员会来调查我
I'm teasing.Smile, Senator Wade.I believe I am smiling, Mrs. Lincoln.
我开玩笑呢 笑一个 韦德议员 我这就是在笑呢 林肯太太
As long as your household accounts are in order, Madame,
只要您家的财务没什么问题 夫人
we'll have no need to investigate them.
我们就不需要调查它们
You have always taken such a lively,even prosecutorial interest in my household accounts.
你一直都对我家的账本 有着强烈的检察兴趣
Your household accounts have always been so interesting.
那是因为您家的账务让人感兴趣
Yes, thank you, it's true,
谢谢 这倒是真的
the miracles I have wrought out of fertilizer bills and cutlery invoices,but I had to.
摆平农务和伙食的账务可真是奇迹 不过我必须做到
Four years ago, when the president and I arrived,this was pure pigsty.
四年前 当我和总统到这里时 这里跟猪窝一样
Tobacco stains in the turkey carpets.
土耳其地毯上尽是烟草污渍
Mushrooms, green as the moon, sprouting from the ceilings!
天花板上长着月光般泛绿的蘑菇
And a pauper's pittance allotted for improvements.
还有少得可怜的维护预算
As if your committee joined with all of Washington awaiting,in what you anticipated would be our comfort in squalor,
似乎你们委员会同全华盛顿一起 在这个你们期待成为我们舒适归宿的肮脏小窝里
further proove that my husband and I were prairie primitives,
等着证明我们是来自草原的原始人
unsuited to the position to which an error of the people,a flaw in the democratic process, had elevated us.
因人民选择的错误和民主制度的瑕疵 被推举到一个我们配不上的高位