In my world, real assets fall into the following categories.
依我看,真正的资产可以分为以下几类:
First,businesses that do not require my presence: I own them, but they are managed or run by other people.
不需我到场就可以正常运作的业务。我拥有它们,但由别人经营和管理。
If I have to work there, it's not a business. It becomes my job.
如果我必须在那儿工作,那它就不是我的事业而是我的职业了。
Then common categories such as stocks, bonds, neutral funds, income-generating real estate, notes or IOUs, royalties from intellectual propertysuch as music, scripts, patents and finally anything else that has value, produces income or appreciates, and has a ready market.
常见类别,例如股票;债券;共同基金;能够产生收入的房地产;票据(借据);版税,如音乐、手稿、专利;其他任何有价值、可产生收入或有增值潜力并且有很好销路的东西。
As a young boy, my educated dad encouraged me to find a safe job.
当我还是孩子的时候,我受过良好教育的爸爸就鼓励我找份安稳的工作。
My rich dad on the other hand encouraged me to begin acquiring assets that I loved.
而富爸爸则鼓励我去获得我所喜爱的资产。
"If you don't love it, you won't take care of it."
"因为如果你不喜欢它,就不会关心它。"
I collect real estate simply because I love buildings and land. I love shopping for them.
我选择房地产是因为我喜欢建筑物和土地,我喜欢购买它们。
I could look at them all day long.
我愿意整天看着它们。
When problems arise, the problems aren't so bad that it changes my love for real estate.
即使有问题出现,也不会糟到使我不再喜爱它们。
For people who hate real estate, they shouldn't buy it.
但对于那些本来就憎恶房地产的人来说,投资房地产显然不是一个好主意。
I love stocks of small companies, especially start-ups.
我喜欢小公司的股票,尤其是刚成立的公司。
The reason is that I am an entrepreneur, not a corporate person.
因为我是一个企业家而不是一个雇员。
In my early years, I worked in large organizations, such as Standard Oil of California, the U.S. Marine Corps, and Xerox Corp.
我早年也曾在一些大机构工作,如加利福尼亚标准石油公司、美国海军陆战队和施乐公司。
I enjoyed my time with those organizations and have fun memories, but I know deep down I am not a company man.
在这些机构做事给我留下了愉快的回忆,但我深知我不只是一名雇员。
I like starting companies, not running them.
我喜欢开办公司但不喜欢去经营它们。
So my stock buys are usually of small companies.
所以我买的股票都是小公司的。
And sometimes I even start the company and take it public.
有时我甚至自己创办小公司并把它们上市
Fortunes are made in new stock issues, and I love the game.
在新股发行中创造财富,我喜爱这种游戏。
Many people are afraid of small-cap companies and call them risky, and they are.
许多人害怕买小公司的股票,认为它们风险大,事实上也确是如此。
But risk is diminished if you love what the investment is, understand it, and know the game.
但是如果你喜爱你所投资的对象,了解它并懂得游戏的规则,风险就会降低。
For years, even while I was with the Marine Corps and Xerox, I did what my rich dad recommended.
多年来,甚至当我还在海军陆战队和施乐公司做事的时候,我就按照富爸爸的建议去做事。
I kept my day time job, but I still minded my own business.
我上班,但同时也关注自己的事业。
I was active in my asset column. I traded real estate and small stocks.
我通过买卖小公司的股票和房地产,努力增加我的资产项。
Rich dad always stressed the importance of financial literacy.
富爸爸总是强调财务知识。
The better I was at understanding the accounting and cash management, the better I would be at analyzing investments and eventually starting and building my own company.
我对会计和现金管理懂得越多,我就越能更好地进行投资分析并开始建立自己的公司。
I would not encourage anyone to start a company unless they really want to.
我并不鼓励那些不想创立自己公司的人也去这么干。
Knowing what I know about running a company, I wouldn't wish that task on anyone.
因为知道其中的曲折,所以我并不希望每个人都去经营公司。
There are times when people can't find employment or starting a company is a solution for them.
不过,当人们找不到工作时,开公司倒是个解决的办法。
The odds are against success: Nine out of ten companies fail in five years.
但失败的几率是这样的:新公司中10成有9成会在5年内倒闭。
Of those that survive the first five years, nine out of every ten of those eventually fail as well.
存活下来的公司在下一个5年内又会有9/10最终倒闭。
So only if you really have the desire to own your own company do I recommend it.
所以只有当你真的想拥有自己的公司时,我才建议你这么做。
Otherwise, keep your day job and mind your own business.
否则,你还是继续上班并关注自己的事业吧。