If procuring votes with offers of employment is what you intend,
如果你打算用职位换取投票
I'll fetch a friend from Albany who can supply the skulking men gifted at this kind of shady work.
那我就去找奥尔巴尼的朋友 他可以找来 一些很擅长搞黑幕的人
Spare me the indignity of actually speaking to Democrats.Spare you the exposure and liability.
免得我劝说民主党时遭到羞辱 你也不用出面担负责任
Pardon me, that's a distress signal which I am bound by solemn oath to respond to.
失陪一下 我曾郑重起誓 绝不对这个敲门声置之不理的
Tom Pendel took away the glass camera plates of slaves Mr. Gardner sent over
汤姆·本德尔把加德纳先生送的 装着黑奴照片的玻璃相框给打碎了
because Tom says mama says they're too distressing, but,You had nightmares all night, mama's right to
汤姆说妈妈觉得那东西让人看着难受 可 你整夜都做噩梦 妈妈这么做是对的
I'll have worse nightmares,if you don't let me look at the plates again!Perhaps.
如果你不让我看那些盘子 我会做更多噩梦的 也许吧
We can't afford a single defection from anyone in our party,not even a single Republican absent when they vote.
我们共和党内承担不起任何闪失 哪怕一位共和党人在投票时缺席也不行
You know who you've got to see.Send over to Blair House.
你知道应该找哪些人谈谈 去找布莱尔家族
Ask Preston Blair can I call on him around five o'clock.God help you.
问问普雷斯顿·布莱尔我能否5点去见他一面 愿上帝助你一臂之力
God alone knows what he'll ask you to give him.
鬼知道他会向你提出什么要求
If the Blairs tell'em to,no Republican will balk at voting for the amendment.
一旦你们布莱尔家族发话 就没有共和党人会反对修正案
No conservative Republican is what you mean.
你指的应该是共和党的保守派
All Republicans ought to be conservative,
所有共和党人都应该是保守派
I founded this party in my own goddamned home to be a conservative antislavery party,
我他妈在自己家里建立了这个党 希望它成为一个保守的反奴隶制党派
not a hobbyhorse for goddamned radical abolitionists.Damp down the dyspepsia, Daddy!You'll frighten the child.
而不是该死的废奴主义激进派的玩物 小声点 爸爸 你会把孩子吓到的