There's only one tollbooth in Jeff City, to the southwest,
杰佛逊市唯一的收费站在西南部
and this man Heinz Sauermagen from Rolla been in illegal possession for near two year,
自斯科菲尔德将军驻扎当地以来 被一个罗拉市名叫海因茨·苏尔马根的人
since your man General Schofield set him up there.
非法占据近两年之久
But President Monroe give that toll gate to my granpap
可那地方由门罗总统授予我的祖父
and Quincy Adams give my pap a letter saying it's our'n for keeps.
昆西·亚当斯也致信过我的父亲 说那里归我们家族所有
Mrs. Jolly got the Show Mr. Lincoln the Quincy Adams letter.
我太太带来了 给林肯先生看看亚当斯总统的信
That's unnecessary, Mrs. Jolly.Just tell me what you want from me.
不必了 乔利夫人 告诉我您的要求好了
Mr. Jolly's emphysema don't care for cigars.
我丈夫有肺气肿 不能闻烟味
Madame. Do you know about the proposed Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution?Yes sir, everybody knows of it.
夫人 您了解 宪法第13号修正案提案吗 是的 先生 所有人都知道
The President favors it.But do you? We do.You know that it abolishes slavery?
总统赞成这项提案 你们呢 我们也赞成 你知道这项法案会废除奴隶制吧
Yes sir. I know it.And is that why you favor it?What I favor is ending the war.
是的 我知道 这是你赞成的原因吗 我赞成的只是停战
Once we do away with slavery, the rebs will quit fighting,
我们一废奴 南军就会停战
since slavery's what they're fighting for.Mr. Lincoln, you always say so.
因为他们就是为维护奴隶制而战的 林肯先生 您总是这样说
With the amendment,slavery's ended and they'll give up,the war can finish then.
修正案一出台 奴隶制就会废除 南方叛军也会投降 战争也会随之结束
If the war finished first, before we end slavery, would,President Lincoln says the war won't stop unless we finish slavery.
假如战争在废奴前就结束 你们还 林肯总统说除非废奴 否则战争不会结束
But if it did. The South is exhausted.If they run out of bullets and men,would you still want your,Who's your representative?
我说假如 南军人困马乏 假如他们弹尽粮绝 你还会让你们的 你们那里的议员是谁