Maxine Hong Kingston: You know what comes to mind is why all this about Obama not being an American?
玛克辛:你们知道我想到奥巴马为什么不是一个美国人?
Born in Hawaii and still all I can think of is there are some people who do not feel that Hawaii is part of America.
出生在夏威夷并且我能想到,有些人觉得夏威夷不是美国的一部分。
They don't know that it's another state.
他们不知道那也是一个州。
Having lived in Hawaii for a long time, I am so happy to see people from all over, everywhere,
生活在夏威夷很长时间后,我很开心看见来自五湖四海的人,各个地方,
and all the languages and everybody intermarrying.
各种语言还有国际婚姻。
And I felt that Obama coming from such a place and also he and his father and mother having migrated so many places all over the world.
我感觉奥巴马来自这样一个地方,他和他的父母迁移过世界上许多地方。
I mean going to Latin America and Africa and throughout the Pacific.
我是说去拉丁美洲,非洲和穿越太平洋。
To see people being born out of those islands and there are so many voices denying that
出生于那些岛屿的人们有许多声音否定,
we have any such place as Hawaii in this world or in America.
在这个世界或说在美国有一个像夏威夷的地方。
I find that discourse to be very uncivilized.
我觉得这个话题会非常未开化的。
Jim Carroll: Thank you, I'm going to, in the interest of moving the conversation.
吉姆:谢谢你,在移动的谈话兴趣中,
I'm going to ask you, Gish, to offer a comment on that question.
我想请任来对此问题阐述自己的观点。