"Hello there," he said, trying to keep his voice from trembling.
“你好,”他试着让自己的声音听起来很正常。
"Are you Mr. Little?" asked Harriet.
“你是利特尔先生?”哈丽雅特问。
"Yes," said Stuart.
“是的,”斯图亚特说。
It's nice of you to come.
很高兴你能来。
"Well, it was very good of you to ask me," replied Harriet.
“哦,谢谢你的邀请,”哈丽雅特回答。
She was wearing a whitesweater, a tweed skirt, short white wool socks, and sneakers.
她穿着一件白色羊绒大衣,里面是苏格兰呢绒衬衫,脚上是白色毛袜和蛇皮鞋。
Her hair was tied with a bright colored handkerchief, and Stuart noticed that she carried a box of peppermints in her hand.
她的头上裹着一条鲜艳的头巾,手中拿着一盒薄荷糖。
"Not at all, glad to do it," said Stuart.
“不必客气,我很荣幸,”斯图亚特说。
I only wish we had better weather.
我只希望天气能好起来。
Looks rather sticky, don't you think?
可看起来相当的糟,不是吗?
Stuart was trying to make his voice sound as though he had an English accent.
斯图亚特试着让自己的发音听起来像标准的英国口音。
Harriet looked at the sky and nodded.
哈丽雅特看了看天,点点头。
"Oh, well," she said, "if it rains, it rains."
“哦,是的,”她说。“像要下雨了。”
"Sure," repeated Stuart, "if it rains, it rains.
“是的,”斯图亚特重复。“像要下雨了。
My canoe is a short distance up the shore.
我的独木舟就停在岸边,路很崎岖。
May I help you over the rough places in the path?
我可以带你去那里吗?
Stuart was a courteous mouse by nature, but Harriet said she didn't need any help.
斯图亚特是个生性有礼貌的老鼠,可哈丽雅特却说她不需要帮助。