Welcome to the high tech, low tech challenge!
欢迎来到高低科技挑战赛
And this week it's whisks.
本周的主题是打蛋器
Do you know what I mean, there's whisks?We've got whisks from the very primitive, to the very sophisticated.
说到打蛋器 我们准备了最原始的和最先进的
Whisks are an essential kitchen utensil for making perfect sauces or, to beat eggs, especially the whites.
每个厨房都有打蛋器 这是制作酱料不可或缺的工具 包括打蛋 尤其是打蛋白
Gerard, who's a real history anorak, has been busy making a whisk out of twigs.
杰拉德刚刚一直在忙着用树枝做出一个打蛋器
Naturally, it was the first type of whisk.
这算是第一代打蛋器
Then we've got the rotary egg beater, invented in 1870 by American, Turner Williams.
这是美国人特纳威廉姆斯在1870年发明的旋转打蛋器
It's still really popular today.
直到今天仍然十分流行
The balloon whisk is the most common one in our kitchens today.
这种像热气球的打蛋器是现代我们厨房里面用的最多的
Probably because it was the first whisk used on TV in the '50s.
也许因为这是上世纪五十年代在电视上用的第一个打蛋器就是这种
The flat whisk is a variation on the balloon whisk,but used mainly for sauces, so I don't expect it to do that well with egg whites.
这种扁平打蛋器是由热气球打蛋器演变而来的 主要用于制作酱料 所以可能不适合打蛋白
And in the high tech category, we've got a hand held automatic whisk with two rotating beaters, invented by Herbert Johnston in 1908.
我们有约翰斯顿在1908年发明的自动打蛋器 带有两个搅拌器
And a much revered food mixer, which has been helping mums across the world, since the same period.
当然还有人人都爱的电动打蛋器 全世界的妈妈们都爱它 这也是同期发明出来的
And it's my turn to use the gadget, Kingy.
今天由我来用这些打蛋器
Now, we need to decide which one is the best. So we're not going to get that with whisking the eggs.We want you to separate the eggs, and it's the whites we want.
我们要决出谁是最好的 所以不能打全蛋 需要分离蛋黄和蛋白
So it's the first to firm peaks, is the winner.
第一个把蛋白打出来的就是赢家
Dave?We've got a Ninja in our midst.
大卫 我们之间有一匹黑马
I bet you this lady has separated more eggs in her lifetime,than we could ever hope. Oh, aye.She just looks the type.
我打赌这位女士这么多年打的鸡蛋绝对让我们望尘莫及 她看起来就是这种人
Remember it's the whites we're after. Firm peaks.
记得我们要留下蛋白
Count to three.
数到三
Hold on, hold on!Put your eggs back in the thingy, you lot.
等等 把鸡蛋放回去 你这个家伙
You stop leading them astray.
不要带坏别人
Mr Myers.Three, two, one. Off!
开始数吧 三二一
The point of whisking or beating raw egg whites, is to incorporate air bubbles which make it change colour,and can increase the volume by up to eight times.
打蛋白的关键是打入空气 如此一来蛋白的颜色将会改变 并且体积也会变成原来的八倍
Peak, you ... thing!
使劲点
I think I'll just get a cup of tea!
我想我需要来杯茶
Oh, I'm running out of steam.
我快没力气了
And it's the same effect when you cook them.
烘焙蛋白的时候同理
Like in a souffle, the air bubbles heat up and expand, making the souffle rise.
在做舒芙蕾的时候 打入的空气会升温膨胀从而使舒芙蕾变大
I think I'm there.
我想我好了
The electric food mixers are definitely the winners,they're perfect for the job.
电动搅拌器肯定是赢家 他们是理想工具
But there is only one way to check if the other whisks can make firm peaks.
但只有一种方法检验其他搅拌器能否打出硬性发泡
Right, that's interesting.See if it works with Kingy's.
真有趣 看看金做得怎么样
You know what, Kingy?If you've got a few bob, go electric.If not, get a rotary egg beater.
金 如果你挺有钱的话 还是买个电动的吧 没钱的旋转式的也行
Not really the most scientific test, but they all did the job.
虽然这个试验科学性不强 但各个打蛋器都完成了任务
And frankly, it just depends how much exercise you want when you're beating your eggs.
所以说实话 搅拌的好不好全在乎你用多大力气搅拌