In fact, there were a lot of small sinks; you could see where thumbs and fingers had sunk into the wood.
那上面的小槽子很多,你可以分辨出哪儿是拇指压出的印子,哪儿是其他手指压出的印子。
It was beautiful light yellow wood, from a tree that grew in the yard where Big Dee and Stash had lived.
搅乳棒的木料取自大迪伊和史大西住过的庭院中长的一棵树,木质呈浅黄色,甚是好看。
After dinner Dee (Wangero) went to the trunk at the foot of my bed and started rifling through it.
晚饭后,迪伊(万杰萝)走到放在我床脚边的衣箱那儿,开始翻找起来。
Maggie hung back in the kitchen over the dishpan. Out came Wangero with two quilts.
麦姬在厨房里洗碗,故意延挨着不愿早出来。万杰萝忽然从房里抱出两床被子。
They had been pieced by Grandma Dee and then Big Dee and me had hung them on the quilt frames on the front porch and quilted them.
这两床被子是迪伊外婆用一块块小布片拼起来,然后由迪伊姨妈和我两人在前厅的缝被架上绗缝而成的。
One was in the Lone Star pattern.
其中一床绘的是单星图案,
The other was Walk Around the Mountain.
另一床是踏遍群山图案。
In both of them were scraps of dresses Grandma Dee had worn fifty and more years ago.
两床被子上都缝有从迪伊外婆五十多年前穿过的衣服上拆下来的布片,
Bit sand pieces of Grandpa Jarrell's Paisley shirts.
还有杰雷尔爷爷的佩兹利涡旋纹花呢衬衣上拆下来的碎布片,
And one teeny faded blue piece, about the size of a penny matchbox, that was from Great Grandpa Ezra's uniform that he wore in the Civil War.
还有一小块褪了色的兰布片,大小只相当于一个小火柴盒,那是从依兹拉曾祖父在南北战争时穿的军服上拆下来的。
Mama, Wangero said sweet as a bird.
“妈妈,”万杰萝用莺声燕语般的甜蜜声调问,
Can I have these old quilts?
“我可不可以把这两床被子拿走?”
I heard something fall in the kitchen, and a minute later the kitchen door slammed.
我听到厨房里有什么东西掉落地上的声音,紧接着又听见厨房的门砰地关上的声音。
Why don't you take one or two of the others?” I asked.
“你何不拿另外一两床呢?”我问道。
These old things was just done by me and Big Dee from some tops your grandma pieced before she died.
“这两床还是你外婆去世前用布条拼起来,然后由大迪伊和我两人缝起来的旧被子。”
No, said Wangero. I don't want those. They are stitched around the borders by machine.
“不,”万杰萝说。“我不要那些被子。那些被子的边线都是机缝的。”
That'll make them last better, I said.
“那样还耐用一些,”我说。
That's not the point, said Wanglero. These are all pieces of dresses Grandma used to wear.
“这一点并不重要,”万杰萝说。“这两床被子都是用外婆曾穿过的衣服拆成布片。