Host: I just want to say a few brief words.
主持人:我只想说几句简短的话。
I'm the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences here and a professor of history as well.
我是这里的艺术与科学学院院长,同时是一名历史教授。
And the previous director of the Athenaeum, Richard Wendorf actually and the trustees as well
也是前任图书馆主管,理查德·温多夫,实际上也是管理员,
of the Athenaeum had the idea of doing a civic discourse series.
有做一个关于公民的系列演讲的想法。
Where every year Suffolk and the Athenaeum come together,
在每年的萨福克和图书馆我们齐聚一堂,
we pick a topic and instead of doing the usual one off lecture we do a series of things around the topic.
我们选择一个主题,不做普通的演讲,做一系列围绕话题而展开的事。
So all of you who are here tonight who want to continue a conversation focusing on the issue of immigration and immigrants should come to the other events we have planned and there are various mailings you have about this.
因此,今夜你们在这里要继续将谈论焦点聚焦在移民和我们已计划好的移民所需参加的其他活动的人,这里有许多你们所拥有的关于这方面的邮件。
So the speakers tonight and the guests we have are really quite an extraordinary group of people.
因此今夜我们邀请到的发言人和到场嘉宾真的是很不平凡的一组贵客。
I just want to say one word about them in a second.
我只想再一次对于他们说一句,
But first I want to thank a few people who've made this event possible.
但是首先我想感谢此次活动的筹划者。
First there's Sandy Barry who works for Suffolk in our communications area
我们先感谢位于我们交流区供职于萨福克的沙巴先生,
and who put together the pieces from the Suffolk end of things;
他将文件从萨福克整理起来。
the Athenaeum staff who worked on this as well. I know Monica Higgins did a lot for this event as well.
还有图书馆为此工作的全体员工。我知道莫妮卡希金斯女士也为此活动做了很多相关工作。
Also, from Suffolk there's Ron Suleski.
此外,还有来自萨福克罗恩索罗斯基先生。
our Rosenberg Institute and they're cosponsors of this event
他负责管理罗森伯格研究所并且他们是该活动的提议者,
and the whole Maxine Kong Kingston visit as well, Ron Suleski heads at the Center of Asian Studies at Suffolk University.
而且在萨福克大学的亚洲研究中心玛克辛洪金斯顿女士也曾到访参观过,
And then there's Fred Marshant. Fred Marshant is in some ways at the very heart of Suffolk University.
其次是弗莱德先生。他在某些方面是萨福克大学的核心人物。
I believe it's his friendship that extends around all the people who are about to appear on stage
我相信这是他的平易近人感染了所有将要出现在舞台上的人,
which is the core reason why we're able to bring them all together.
这是关键因素为什么我们能将他们齐聚一堂。
Fred is a professor in the English Department at Suffolk.
弗莱德是授书于萨福克英语部门的教授。
So, let me just say a brief word. Our panel, three distinguished guests, will come out in a second.
那么,让我简单的说一句 我们的专家小组,三位尊贵的客人,将再一次出现。
And I want to introduce one of them, Jim Carroll, who will then introduce the others; the other people on the panel.
接着,我想介绍其中之一,吉姆卡罗尔先生他将随后依次介绍专家小组其他贵宾。
So Jim Carroll is probably known, in fact, I'm curious, how many of you have seen Jim Carroll in action before?
所以,吉姆卡罗尔先生可能要先出名了,事实上,我很好奇,你们中有多少人在之前的活动中见过他?
Yeah, it's extraordinary. See you've come back for more, right.
对,这是很特别的。我知道你们来为了了解更多,对吧!
You know what an extraordinary speaker he is. He's the author of over 15 books both fiction and nonfiction.
你们知道他是一个出类拔萃的演讲者,他是超过15本虚构和非虚构作品的作者。
You know, he writes a weekly column for the Boston Globe.
同样你们也知道,他为波士顿环球报撰写每周专栏。
He's the winner of the National Book Award.
他也荣获国家图书奖。
He's an extraordinary man in every way, not just a great writer, but also a great human being, a humanitarian.
在各个方面他鹤立鸡群,他不仅仅是一个成功的作家,也是一位散发人格魅力的慈善家。
Deeply religious and religion actually infuses all his work.
他所有的作品中注入了深深的宗教意识
His latest book which has been alluded to already is a book about Jerusalem which will be published shortly.
他最新一部关于耶路撒冷的作品不久将问世,
And we will have Suffolk events around that. And I believe the Athenaeum is having its own events around Jim Carroll's new book.
而且我们将有关于此展开的萨福克活动。并且,我相信图书馆也正在围绕吉姆卡罗尔新作而展开的活动。