The first thing on it, is the fact that
第一条
I just mentioned that startups are so weird that if you follow your instincts they will lead you astray.
我刚才提到了,创业思维有点怪。如果你遵循直觉,你就会背道而驰
If you remember nothing more than that.
只要记住这一条
When you're about to make a mistake, you may at least pause before making it.
在你要犯错误前,你就可以悬崖勒马
When I was running Y Combinator,
在我经营YC公司时
we used to joke that our function was to tell founders things they would ignore.
我们经常开玩笑说,我们的工作就是告诉创业者他们充耳不闻的东西
And it's really true.
果不其然
Batch after batch,
我们孵化过一批又一批的公司
the YC partners warn founders about mistakes they are about to make.
YC合伙人告诫创业者他们可能会犯的错误
And the founders ignore them.
创业者却充耳不闻
And they come back a year later and say, I wish we'd listened.
一年后,他们回来说 “我当初听进去你们的劝诫就好了”
But, that dude is in their cap table and there's nothing they can do.
失败已成定局,无力回天了
Why do founders persistently ignore the partner's advice?
为什么创业者听不进去合伙人的建议呢
Well, that's the thing about counterintuitive ideas, they contradict your intuitions, so they seem wrong.
就是因为创业思维是反直觉的啊!创业思维和直觉相悖,创业思维看起来是错的
So, of course you're first impulse is to ignore them.
他们理所当然听不进去
And in fact that is not just the curse of Y Combinator, but to some extent.
事实上这并不是YC的诅咒,却是YC存在的意义
You don't need people to give you advice that doesn't surprise you, right?
大家都不想听天方夜谭似的建议
If founder's existing intuitions gave them the right answers they wouldn't need us.
如果创业者的直觉是对的话,还需要我们YC这些人吗?
That's why there are a lot of ski instructors and not a lot of running instructors.
这就是为什么滑雪教练很多,却没怎么听说过跑步教练
You don't see those two words together, running instructor, as much as you see ski instructor.
经常听说滑雪教练,很少听说过跑步教练
It's because skiing is counterintuitive.
就是因为滑雪是反直觉的
So sorta, what YC is, is like business ski instructors,
YC的工作有点像商业中的滑雪教练
except for going up the slopes instead of down them.
不同之处就是,教大家走上坡路,而不是下坡路
Well, ideally, you can however trust your instincts about people.
不过,你可以相信自己对人的直觉
You, your life so far hasn't been much like starting a startup,
你们可能还没有很多创业经历
but all the interactions you've had with people are just like the interactions you've had with people in the business world.
日常生活中你和别人的互动,与商业中与人的互动是一样的
So, in fact one of the big mistakes that founders make is to not trust their intuitions about people enough.
实际上,创业者经常犯的大错之一就是不足够相信自己对人的直觉
They meet someone who seems impressive, but about whom they feel some misgivings.
他们见了某个人,感觉印象深刻,不过就是觉得有点不对劲
And then later, when things blow up, they tell themselves, they say, you know,
后来,那个人东窗事发,他们会说
I knew there was something wrong about that guy, but I ignored it because he seemed so impressive.
“我早就知道那个人有问题,不过我还是蒙蔽了自己,因为那人表现太好了”
And there's a specific sub-case in business,
拿个商业中具体的例子来说
especially if you come from an engineering background as I believe you all do.
尤其适用于来自工程领域的人士。你们应该都是学工程的吧
You think business is supposed to be this sorta slightly distasteful thing.
你们会觉得商业让人有些倒胃口
And so when you meet people who seem smart,
当你遇到某个看似聪明
but somehow distasteful you think well, okay this must be normal for business. But it's not.
却让人有些反感的人时,你可能会默默跟自己说 “商业人就是这样的,习惯就好了”
Just like pick people the way you would pick people if you were picking friends.
其实不然,商业中选人和选朋友是共通的
This is one of those rare cases where it works to be self indulgent.
此时要相信自己的直觉
Work with people you genuinely like and respect and that you have known long enough to be sure.
与自己喜欢和尊重的人共事,最好和知根知底的人共事
Because there's a lot of people who are really good at seeming likeable for a while.
因为有很多人擅长装一阵子让人喜欢的样子
Just wait till your interests are opposed and then you'll see.
走着瞧吧,他们终将暴露
All right.
就说到这