"Are you going far?" asked the storekeeper.
“你还要走很远吗?”店主问。
"Perhaps very far," replied Stuart.
“可能吧,”斯图亚特说。
I'm looking for a bird named Margalo.
我在找一只叫玛戈的小鸟。
You haven't sighted her, have you?
你见过她吗?
"Can't say I have," said the storekeeper. "What does she look like?"
“这我可说不准,”店主说。“她什么样子?”
"Perfectly beautiful," replied Stuart, wiping the sarsaparilla off his lips with the corner of his sleeve.
“非常的漂亮,”斯图亚特回答着,用袖口抹去唇边的沙士汽水沫。
She's a remarkable bird.
她是一只出众的小鸟。
Anybody would notice her.
任何人都会注意到她的。
She comes from a place where there are thistles.
她来自生长着大蓟的地方。
The storekeeper looked at Stuart closely.
店主仔细看了看斯图亚特。
"How tall are you?" he asked.
“你多高?”他问。
"You mean in my stocking feet?" said Stuart. "Yes."
“你是说我只穿袜子时的身高吗?”斯图亚特说。“是的。”
"Two inches nothing and a quarter," answered Stuart.
“比两英寸还多四分之一英寸,”斯图亚特回答。
I haven't been measured recently, however.
不过,我最近没再量过。
I may have shot up a bit.
我没准儿又长个了呢。
"You know," said the storekeeper, thoughtfully, "there's somebody in this town you really ought to meet."
“你知道,”店主想了想,说,“这个镇子里有个人你真该见见。”
"Who's that?" asked Stuart, yawning.
“他是谁?”斯图亚特打着哈欠问。