So, I mentioned this momentum and growth earlier.
我之前提到过增长和驱动力
Uh, once more, that momentum and growth are the lifeblood of startups.
再次强调,驱动力和增长是创业的命脉
Um, this is the, probably in the top three secrets to executing well.
这是良好执行的三大秘诀之一
You want a company to be winning all the time.
你想让公司一直赢下去
If you ever take your foot off the gas pedal, things will spiral out of control, snowball downwards.
如果公司没了驱动力,事情将脱离控制,像雪球般滚落
Um, a winning team feels good and keeps winning.
一支胜利的队伍感觉良好并想保持胜利
A team that hasn't won in a while gets demotivated and keeps losing.
一支一时没有取得胜利的团队失去动力,一直失败
So always keep momentum is this prime directive for managing a start up
所以通常来说,保持驱动力是管理一家创业公司的首要指令
Um, if I can only tell founders one thing about how to, how to run a company, it would be this.
如果关于如何经营公司,只能告诉创业者一件事,那就是这件事
For most start, software startups, this translates to keep growing.
对大多数软件创业公司而言,这意味保持增长
For hardware startups it translates to don't let your ship date slip.
对硬件创业公司来说,意味着不要错过你的交货日期
Um, this is what we tell people during YC, and they usually listen, everything is good.
这也是我们在YC告诉大家的事,他们也同意,一切进展顺利
Um, what happens after the end of YC is that they get distracted on other things.
离开YC后发生的是,他们被其他事情分散了注意力
And then growth slows down.
之后增长变慢
And somehow after that happens,
随之而来的是
people start getting unhappy and quitting and then everything falls apart.
人们开始变得不开心,开始放弃,一切就这样瓦解了
It's hard to figure out a growth engine because most companies grow in new ways.
很难找到持续不变的增长,因为大多数公司的增长方式不同
Um, but there is this thing about if you built a good product, it will grow.
如果你创造了一个不错的产品,那么它就会增长
And so getting this good, this product right at the beginning is the best way to not lose momentum later.
所以在开始就要找对这个产品,这是防止在之后失去驱动力的最好方法
If you do lose momentum, most founders try to get it back in the wrong way.
如果你失去了驱动力,大多数创业者会用错误的方法试图回到正轨
They give these long speeches about vision for the company and they try to rally the troops with, with speeches.
他们发表长篇大论,谈论公司的远景,他们想通过演说重整旗鼓
Um, but employees in a company where momentum has sagged don't wanna hear that.
但公司员工的士气已经低落,他们也不想听这些
Um,you have to save the vision speeches for when the company's winning
你得把这些演说留到公司胜利的时候
When you're not winning, you just have to get momentum back in small wins.
当你没有胜利时,你就得以小胜重获驱动力
Um, a board member of mine used to say that sales fix everything in a startup, and that is really true.
我的一位董事会成员曾说过,在创业公司中,销售可以解决所有问题,的确是这样
So you figure out where you can get these small wins, and you get that done.
所以你要找到在哪些地方可以获得小小的成功,然后去执行
And then you'll be amazed how all the other problems in a startup disappear.
之后你会发现公司里其他所有问题都消失了
Uh, another thing that you'll notice if you have momentum sag is that
如果你的公司士气低落,你会注意到
everyone starts disagreeing about what to do.
每个人都开始意见不合
Fights come out when a company loses momentum.
当一家公司丧失驱动力,争论开始出现
Uh, and so a framework for that that I think works is.
所以我认为对此的应对方案是
That when there's disagreement among the team about what to do,
当在团队中出现不同意见时
then you ask your users and you do whatever your users tell you.
问问你的用户,然后按照用户想法去做
And you have to remind people like, hey, stuffs not working right now we don't actually hate each other.
你必须提醒大家,事情现在不顺利,我们不要互相怨恨
Um, we just need to get back on track and everything will work.
我们要回到正轨,一切都会好起来的
And if you just call it out, if you just acknowledge that um, you'll find that things will get way better.
你只要大声说出来,只要认清现状,你会发现事情会变得好得多