Jacob Bekenstein came into the office one day.
有天 雅各布·贝肯斯坦走进办公室
Jacob, I said...lt always troubles me when I put a hot teacup next to a cold teacup.
雅各布啊 我说 有件事我总是想不清楚 当我把一杯热茶放在一杯凉茶边上时
I've increased, by letting heat flow from one to the other the amount of disorder in the universe.
通过让热量从一个杯子转移到另一个上 我增大了宇宙的混乱度
But Jacob, if a black hole swims by and I drop both teacups into this
但是 雅各布 如果一个黑洞恰好经过 这时候我把两杯茶都扔进去
I've concealed the evidence of my crime, have I not?
我岂不是就隐藏了我让熵增大的证据 是吗
Bekenstein's a man of great integrity and he looked troubled, and he came back to me later
贝肯斯坦是个十分严谨的人 他当时看起来很疑惑 不过一会儿他就回来了
and he said, No, you have not concealed the evidence of your crime.
不 你没有 他开口说 这样并不能掩饰你之前的所作所为
The black hole records what's happened to you.
黑洞会记录下你行为的痕迹"
Stephen Hawking read the paper in which Bekenstein announced this result
史蒂芬·霍金读了 贝肯斯坦在其中声明了这个结论的论文之后
Thought it was preposterous and decided to prove it was wrong.
觉得它太荒谬了 他决定要证明它是错的
My discoveries led Jacob Bekenstein to suggest that the area of the event horizon
我的发现让雅各布·贝肯斯坦做了如下假设 事件视界的面积
actually was the entropy of a black hole.But there was one fatal flaw.
实际上就是一个黑洞的熵 但是 这个假设有一个致命的缺陷
In Bekenstein's idea:If black holes have an entropy they ought to have a temperature.
在贝肯斯坦看来 如果黑洞有熵 那么它们就得有温度
And if they have a temperature they ought to give off radiation.
而如果黑洞有温度 那么他们就有辐射
But how could they give off radiation if nothing can escape from a black hole?
可是 既然任何东西都不能逃离黑洞 为什么黑洞会有辐射呢
As it turned out Bekenstein was basically correct
不过最后证明 贝肯斯坦基本上是正确的
though in a manner far more surprising than he or anyone else had expected.
但却是以一种让人惊异的方式 这方式超出任何人 包括他本人 的意料之外