Friends ask me, Well, if a black hole is black how can you see it?
朋友们问我 那个 如果黑洞是黑的 你要怎么看到它呢
And I say, Have you ever been to a ball?
于是我就说 你总该去过舞会的吧
Have you ever watched the young men dressed in their black evening tuxedos
舞会上那些 穿着黑色燕尾服的年轻男子
and the girls in their white dresses whirling around, held in each other's arms
和着白色礼服的姑娘们 手拉着手转圈
and the lights turned low and all you can see is the girls?
当灯光暗下来后 你就只能看到姑娘们了
Well, the girl is the ordinary star and the boy is the black hole.
打个比方 如果一个女孩子是一颗普通的恒星 而男子是一个黑洞
You can't see the black hole any more than you can see the boy
尽管你不能看到男子 正如你无法看到黑洞
but the girl going around gives you convincing evidence
但那个转着圈的姑娘能让你确信
there must be something there holding her in orbit.
一定另有什么拉着她转圈
One evening, shortly after the birth of my daughter, Lucy
有天晚上 我的女儿露西刚出生不久
I started to think about black holes as I was getting into bed.
上床之前 我开始思考黑洞
My disability makes this rather a slow process so I had plenty of time.
我的身体缺陷让上床这一过程十分缓慢 所以我有的是时间
Suddenly I realized that the area of the event horizon must always increase with time.
突然之间 我意识到事件视界的面积 必须随着时间的流逝而增大
The increase in the area of the event horizon was very reminiscent of a quantity called entropy
视界面积的增大 很容易让人联想到一个叫做熵的物理量
which measures the degree of disorder of a system.
它用来度量一个系统的混乱程度
It is a matter of common experience that disorder tends to increase with time if things are left to themselves.
这其实是一种常识 如果你把一些东西放任不管 它们会倾向于变得无序