There's a famous test from Paul Graham called the Animal Test.
保罗·格雷厄姆有一个有名的试验称为动物试验
Um, and, and the idea here is that you should be able to describe any employee as an animal at what they do.
核心思想是你得把员工做的事描述成一种动物
Um,and I don't think that probably translates out of English very well
用“动物试验”来描述这种方法不是很直观
but um, you know, you need unstoppable people.
你需要不可阻挡的人
Uh, you want, you want people that are just going to get it done.
你需要不达目的誓不罢休的人
Um, founders that end up being really happy with their early hires.
对早期招的人感到满意的创业者
Usually end up describing these people as the very best in the world, at whatever they do.
他们常这样来描述这些员工“不管做什么,他们都会是世界上最优秀的人”
Mark Zuckerberg once said uh, that he tries to hire people, that A,
马克·扎克伯格曾经说过,在招人的过程中他会考虑两点
that he would spend time with socially and B,
第一,他是否愿意花时间和这个人相处
that he'd be comfortable reporting to, if the roles were reversed.
第二,如果角色互换,他是否愿意为这个人工作
Um, this strikes me as a very good framework.
这让我受益匪浅
You don't have to be friends with everybody,
你不必和每个人做朋友
but you should at least enjoy working with them.
但你至少应该享受和他们共事
And if you can't have that, you need to at least deeply respect them.
如果你不能做到,你至少要尊重他们
Um, but again, the, if you don't wanna spend a lot of time around people,
但再次强调,如果你不想花很多时间和人打交道
uh, you should sort of trust your instincts on that.
那你应该相信自己在这方面的直觉
While I'm on this topic of hiring uh, I want to talk about employee equity.
关于招聘这个主题,我还想谈谈员工股份
Founders screw this up all the time.
创业者总是把这个问题搞砸
Um, I think that as a rough guideline you should aim to give 10% of the company to the first ten employees.
我觉得作为一条粗略的方针,你应该计划把公司10%的股份给前10位员工
Um, they have to earn it over four years anyway.
他们必须在四年的时间内让这些股份变得有意义
And if they're successful,they're gonna contribute way more than that.
如果他们成功了,他们创造的价值远多于10%的股份
Uh, they're gonna increase the value of the company by way more than that.
他们会为公司创造极大的财富
Um, and if not, then they won't be around anyway.
如果没有成功,他们也不会待太久
So for whatever reason founders are usually very stingy with equity to employees and very generous with equity to investors.
不知是什么原因,在股份方面,创业者一般对员工都很吝啬,对投资者很慷慨
And I think this is totally backwards, um, I think this is one of the things founders screw up the most often.
我觉得这完全颠倒了,这也是我认为创业者通常会搞砸的事情
You know, employees will only add more value over time.
员工会随时间为公司增加更多价值
Investors sort of like write the check, and then despite a lot of big promises,
而投资者就像是写支票,尽管他们会许下许多了不起的承诺
don't usually do that much.
但经常都不能做到
Sometimes they do.
虽然有时能做到
Um, but, but your employees are really the ones that build the company over years and years.
但你的员工才是年复一年帮助你打造公司的人
So I believe in like fighting with investors to reduce the amount of equity they get.
所以我认为,要和投资者力争,减少他们得到的股份
Um, and then being as gen, generous as you possibly can with employees.
然后对你的员工慷慨些,尽可能对你的员工慷慨
Um, the YC companies that have done this well,
YC孵化的在这方面做得很好的公司
the YC companies that have been super generous with equity to early employees in general are the most succesful ones that we've funded.
对早期员工特别慷慨的那些公司,通常都是非常成功的