And most uh, first time founders are very bad interviewers.
大部分初次创业者都不怎么会面试
But very good at evaluating someone after they've worked together.
但在和人共事后就会变得擅长评估一个人
So one of the pieces that we give advice,
所以我们给出的一条建议
one of the pieces of advice that we give at YC is,
我们在YC给出的一条建议是
try to work together on a project rather than just doing an interview.
和候选人合作一个项目来代替面试
Um, if you are gonna interview, which you'll probably do as well,
如果你要面试,有时不可避免要面试
you should ask specifically about projects that someone has done in the past.
那你应该针对面试者过去所做项目问一些问题
Um, you'll learn a lot more than you will with brain teasers.
比起脑筋急转弯,这将让你学到更多
For some reason, young technical founders love to ask brain teaser questions
由于某些原因,年轻的技术创业者喜欢问脑筋急转弯问题
rather than just ask what someone's done.
而不是问面试者做过什么项目
Really dig into projects people have worked on and call references.
要深挖面试者做过的项目,还可以给推荐人打电话
Ah, that is another thing that first time founders like to skip.
这是另一件头回创业的创业者会忽略的事
Um, you want to call some people uh, that these people have worked with in the past.
你给候选人的推荐人打电话
And then when you do, you don't just want to ask like how was so and so.
此时不要只问“某某某怎么样啊?”
Like you really want to dig in, like is this person in the top 5% of people you've ever worked with?
你得深度挖掘,比如这个人是否能在你共事过的人中排到前5%?
What specifically did they do?
他们的专长是什么?
Would you hire them again?
你会再次雇佣他们吗?
Like why, why, why aren't you trying to hire them again?
还有为什么,为什么你不想再雇佣他们呢?
Um, you really have to press on, on these reference calls.
你得在这些通话中不断向前推进
Um, another thing that I've noticed from talking to a lot of YC companies,
与许多YC孵化的公司谈话,我注意到的另外一件事是
is that good communication skills tend to correlate really well with hires that work out.
是否有良好的沟通技巧与招到的人最终能否胜任工作有很大关系
Um, I used to not pay attention to this.
我以前没有注意到这方面
We're gonna talk more about why communication is so important in an early startup.
我们会在之后更多地谈谈为什么沟通在早期创业中是如此重要
If someone is difficult to talk to, if someone cannot communicate clearly uh,
如果某人很难沟通,如果某人不能清楚地表达
it's a real problem in terms of their likelihood to work out.
那他就很可能不适合这份工作
Also for early employees you want people that have somewhat of a risk taking attitude.
对早期的员工来说,需要具备承担风险的态度
Uh, you, you generally get this or they wouldn't be interested in a startup.
必须要找这样的人,不愿承担风险的人对创业其实不感兴趣
But now that startups are sort of more in fashion um,
但现在创业也成为趋势
you, you want people that actually sort of like a little bit of risk.
你要用那些喜欢冒险的人
If someone's choosing between like McKinsey and joining your startup, very unlikely that,
如果有人纠结于选麦肯锡还是你的公司
that person's going to work out at the startup.
这个人很可能不适合创业公司
Uh, you also want people who are maniacally determined.
你也需要异常坚定的人
And that is slightly different than having a risk tolerant attitude,
这与愿意冒险的态度有些许不同
so you really should be looking for both.
所以你要寻找符合这两种情况的人
By the way, people are welcome to interrupt me with questions, as stuff comes up.
顺带一提,大家有什么疑惑都可以打断我,问问题