Okay, so let's say, you know,
好,我们讲了
you've listened to the warning about not hiring and now you absolutely have to.
以上是不要雇太多人的警告,你还必须得雇人
When you're in this hiring mode, your job is, it should be your number one priority to get the best people.
当你招人时,你的工作就是优先考虑雇佣最优秀的人
Just like when you are in product mode that is your number one priority.
就像你在生产时,生产最好的产品是你的重中之重一样
And when you are in fundraising mode, fundraising's your number one priority.
当你融资时,吸引到最好的投资人
Um, one thing that founders always underestimate is how hard it is to re recruit.
创业者总是低估的一件事是招聘有多难
You know, you think you have this great idea and everyone's going to come and join, but that's not how it works.
你觉得自己有一个不错的创意,大家都将参与进来,但事实并非如此
To get the very best people they have a lot of great options, right?
最优秀的人,他们的选择也多
And so it can easily take a year to recruit someone.
所以经常要花一年的时间去招募一个人
It's this long process and you have to convince them that
这是一个漫长的过程,你得让他们相信
your mission is the most important of anything that they're looking at
你的公司是他们最好的归宿
This is another case of why it's really important to get the product right, before anything else.
这就是为什么得先有好产品的另一个原因
The best people know that they should join a rocket ship.
让这群优秀的人知道他们加入的是一家将要腾飞的公司
Um, by the way, that's my number one piece of advice.
顺带一提,这是我的第一个建议
If you're gonna join a start up, pick a rocket ship.
如果你想进一家新公司,选择一个将要腾飞的公司
Um, pick a company that's already working.
也就是一个已经步入正轨的公司
Uh, and that the, you know, not everyone yet realizes that.
但是关注的人还不是很多
But it's, you know, you know cuz you're paying attention and it's going to be huge.
但是,“你”知道它将成为一匹黑马
And, and again you can usually identify these.
一家公司能不能成为一匹黑马是能看出来的
Um, but good people know this, right?
优秀的人了解这些
And so good people will wait and they want to see that you're on this break out trajectory before they join.
因此优秀的人会等待,在他们加入之前,他们会等你步入正轨
One question that people asked online this morning is, how much time you should be spending hiring.
今早有人在网上问,要花多少时间在招聘上
The answer is either like 0 or 25%.
答案是0或25%
You're either not hiring at all, or it's probably your single biggest block of time.
你要么就不招人,要么就花大力气去招人
Um, in practice, like all these books on management or whatever say that you should spend 50% of your time hiring.
管理方面的书籍上面说你应该花50%的时间在招聘上
But the people that give that advice, it's rare for them to even spend 10% themselves.
给出这种建议的人,他们自己花10%的时间都是罕见的
25% is still a huge amount of time.
25%仍占用很多时间
Um, but that's really how much you should be doing once you're in hiring mode.
一旦你得雇人才,你就得花这么大的力气
Um, okay, so if you compromise and hire someone mediocre, you will always regret it.
如果你折衷,雇佣了能力一般的人,你终会后悔的
We always like to warn founders of this.
我们总是这样提醒创业者注意这一点
No one really feels it until they miss, make the mistake the first time.
但他们都是错过后才明白,第一次犯错后才明白
Um, but it can poison the culture.
雇平庸的人会毁了公司的文化
Mediocre people at a big company cause some problems.
大公司里平庸的人会带来一些问题
They don't usually kill the company.
他们通常不会让公司倒闭
A single mediocre hire in the first five will often, in fact, kill a start up.
第一次雇佣的五个人中,有一个平庸的人常常会让一个刚建立的公司倒闭
Uh, a friend of mine has a sign up in the conference unit, he uses for interviews.
我的一个朋友在面试时贴了个标语
And he like positions for signs of the candidate who is looking at it, while they're interviewing.
贴在了候选人在面试时都能看到的地方
And it says that mediocre engineers do not build great companies.
写的是,平庸的工程师建不成伟大的公司
Um, yeah. That's true. Um, it's really true.
是的,的确是这样,真的是这样
You can get away with it, in a big company, right?
你可以在大公司混日子
Cuz people just sort of like, fall through the cracks.
如流沙过隙,很少有人关注平庸之人
But, but every person in a startup sets the tone.
但创业时公司的每个人都至关重要
Um, so if you compromise in the first, you know,
所以如果你在最开始就妥协
say five, ten hires, um, it might kill the company
雇佣的10个人中有5个平庸之人,就有可能让公司倒闭
and you should think about that for everyone you hire like
你应该在招每个人时想一想
will I bet the future of this company on the single hire um, and that's a tough bar.
我能把公司的未来押在这人身上吗?这是一个难跨的门槛
At some point in life at the company when you're bigger, you will compromise on a hire um,
当公司壮大到一定程度后,在招聘上就可以妥协一些了
there'll be some pressing deadline uh, or something like that.
到时会有一些招聘截止日期方面的压力
You will still regret it, um,
将就还是会让你后悔的
but this is the difference between theory and practice,
这是理论和实践之间的不同
and we're gonna have later speakers talk about what this, what to do when this happens.
后面的演讲嘉宾会讲到这种时候该如何应对
But in the early days you just can't screw it up.
但在早期你绝不能搞砸