Narrator: Loco quickly develops a crack addiction and falls in with the notorious Chicago street gang, the Conservative Vice Lords.
旁白:乐克很快成为一名快客瘾君子,沦落到与臭名昭著的芝加哥街头帮派为伍,——保守党副主。
Loco: I could've been a professional boxer but I choose drugs and gangbanging.
乐克:我本来会成为一名职业拳击手,但我选择了毒品和帮派生活。
Crack cocaine, it used to make me just want to rob everybody I come across, you know what I mean. I became very aggressive.
快客可卡因,它常常让我想去抢劫我遇到的每一个人,你明白我的意思。我变得非常好斗。
Narrator: Powder cocaine users tend to have lucrative jobs that enable them to fund their drug use.
旁白:可卡因粉末使用者往往都有赚钱的工作,这样他们才有财力吸食毒品。
But crack cocaine users are predominantly poor and live in the inner city.
但是快客可卡因吸食者主要是穷人,并住在市中心。
Many turn to crime to fund their habit s.
许多人转向犯罪,以满足他们的毒瘾。
Loco: I take what you got, with whatever I had, guns, knife, stick, because if I had it I would use it.
乐克:我用我的,枪、刀子、或棒子,抢劫你的东西,我有什么就用什么。
And if you didn't give me what you had you were gonna see I was gonna use it.
如果你不给我你的东西,你就要试试我怎么用它。
And that's the way I kept my habit up. I've been in the penitentiary six times.
我就是那么维持我的毒瘾的。我已经进了六次监狱。
Narrator: Loco manages to stop smoking crack just once.
旁白:只有一次,乐克想戒掉快客。
Loco: I stopped using cocaine on my own for like 18 months, I didn't have it for 18 months.
乐克:我靠自己停吸了可卡因大概18个月,我18个月没动它。
That was the best feeling in my life.
那是我生命中最好的感觉。
My mother passed away and I was going again.
我母亲去世了,于是我又开始了。
Narrator: Loco desperately wants to stop smoking crack but he's in the grip of addiction.
旁白:乐克几近绝望地想要戒掉快客,但是他被毒瘾所套住了。
Loco: If I could just stop being high today, I think I'd be the happiest man in the world, but it's not easy.
乐克:如果我现在能停止追求那种高潮感,我想我就是世界上最快乐的人,但这并不容易。
The future holds nothing for me, death or the penitentiary.
我没有未来,只有死亡或监狱。
Narrator: The United Nations World Drug Report declares there are up to 20 million cocaine users worldwide.
旁白:联合国世界毒品报告宣称全世界的可卡因吸食者达两千万。
The majority of these users snort cocaine.
其中绝大多数鼻吸可卡因。
People like the drug because it creates intense feelings of pleasure without a loss of control.
人们喜欢毒品是因为它能产生强烈的欣快感,而不至于失控。
Unlike heroin and methamphetamine, powder cocaine users don't fall into a stupor or hallucinate.
与海洛因和脱氧麻黄碱不同,可卡因粉末吸食者不会陷入昏迷或产生幻觉。
When a user snorts a line, it enters the bloodstream through the nasal membrane.
当使用者吸一口,它就会顺着鼻粘膜进入血流。
The drug races to the pleasure centers of the brain where it triggers a massive increase in dopamine, the neurotransmitter that signals euphoria.
毒品快速进入大脑的愉悦中枢,在那里触发多巴胺水平迅速升高,而后者是传导欣快感的神经递质。