Hafid's joy immediately subsided as he asked,
忧虑重新又代替了喜悦,海菲不禁问道:
"Will you not teach me the principles and laws that will transform me into a great salesman?"
“您不教我那些原则规律,让我变成伟大的推销员吗?”
"I will not no more than I have made your early youth soft
“不是,你小的时候,
and easy through pampering.
我从来没宠过你,
I have been criticized often
大家都说我不该对你这么严,
for condemning my adopted son to the life of a camel boy
不该让养子去干喂牲口的粗活,
but I believed that if the right fire was burning inside
可是我一直相信只要心中的那团火烧得恰到好处,
it would eventually emerge ...
迟早它会冒出火花,
and when it did you would be far more a man for your years of difficult toil.
那时你就会成为一个真正的男人,以前吃的苦都没有白费。
Tonight, your request has made me happy
今天晚上,我很高兴你能提出这样的要求,
for the fire of ambition glows in your eyes
你的眼睛像点燃的火焰,
and your face shines with burning desire.
你的脸上充满渴望,
This is good and my judgment is vindicated
看来我没有看错人。
but you must still prove
不过你还要加倍努力,
that there is more behind your words than air."
证明你想要的不是空中楼阁。”
Hafid was silent and the old man continued,
海菲沉默不语,听着主人继续说道,
"First, you must prove to me,
首先,你要向我证明,
and more important to yourself,
当然更重要的是向自己证实,
that you can endure the life of a salesman
你能忍受推销的辛苦。
for it is not an easy lot you have chosen.
你抽的这个签,远非轻而易举。
Truly, many times have you heard me say that the red wards are great if one succeeds
你常听我说,只要成功,报偿相当可观,
but the rewards are great only because so few succeed.
我这么说,也是因为成功的人太少了,所以回报才大。
Many succumb to despair
许多人半途而废,
and fail without realizing that they already possess
他们在绝望失意中,
all the tools needed to acquire great wealth.
并没有意识到自己已经拥有达到成功的一切条件。
Many others face each obstacle in their path with fear
有些人面对困难,畏缩不前,
and doubt and consider them as enemies when, in truth,
如临大敌,
these obstructions are friends and helpers.
殊不知,这些拌脚石正是他们的朋友,他们的助手。
Obstacles are necessary for success
困难是成功的前提,
because in selling, as in all careers of importance,
因为推销和其它行业一样,
victory comes only after many struggles and countless defeats.
胜利是在多次失败之后才姗姗而来。
Yet each struggle, each defeat,
每一次的失败和奋斗,
sharpens your skills and strengths,
都能使你的技艺更精湛,思想更成熟,
your courage and your endurance,
磨练你的本领和耐力,
your ability and your confidence and thus
增加你的勇气和信心。
each obstacle is a comrade in-arms
这样,困难就成了你的伙伴,
forcing you to become better ...
发人自省,迫人向上。
or quit.
或者让人自弃。