So I'm here to tell you that we have a problem with boys,
我在这儿是想告诉大家我们的对男孩的教育有问题,
and it's a serious problem with boys.
男孩子的教育是个严重问题。
Their culture isn't working in schools,
在学校,男孩文化没有形成。
and I'm going to share with you ways that we can think about overcoming that problem.
我要和大家分享我们关于这一问题的解决方法。
First, I want to start by saying, this is a boy, and this is a girl,
首先,我首先想说,这是个男孩,这是个女孩。
and this is probably stereotypically what you think of as a boy and a girl.
这可能是你刻板的关于男孩和女孩的想法。
If I essentialize gender for you today,
如果我今天要讲性别的事,
then you can dismiss what I have to say.
然后大家可能不会理睬我要说的。
So I'm not going to do that. I'm not interested in doing that.
所以我不打算这样做,我对此也不感兴趣。
This is a different kind of boy and a different kind of girl.
这是一个与众不同的男孩,这是一个与众不同的女孩。
So the point here is that not all boys
我要指明的是并不是所有的男孩
exist within these rigid boundaries of what we think of as boys and girls,
是按我们所想的男孩和女孩那样的严格界限来划分的。
and not all girls exist within those rigid boundaries of what we think of as girls.
也不是所有女孩可以用我们想象中的女孩的界限来严格定义。
But, in fact, most boys tend to be a certain way,
但事实上,多数男孩朝着他们自己的方向发展,
and most girls tend to be a certain way.
大多数女孩也朝着另一方向发展。
And the point is that, for boys,
关键是,对男孩来说,
the way that they exist and the culture that they embrace isn't working well in schools now.
对他们的认可和他们的这种男孩文化的认识,目前在学校都没有过多了解。
How do we know that?
我们怎么知道这个事实呢?
The Hundred Girls Project tells us some really nice statistics.
100个女孩计划告诉了我们一些真正有用的数据。
For example, for every 100 girls that are suspended from school,
例如,当有100个女孩从学校停课,
there are 250 boys that are suspended from school.
那就有250个男孩从学校停课。
For every 100 girls who are expelled from school,
每当有100个女孩被学校开除,
there are 335 boys who are expelled from school.
对应的男孩数是335个.
For every 100 girls in special education, there are 217 boys.
每当有100个女孩接受特殊教育,男孩数是217个。
For every 100 girls with a learning disability,
每100个女孩有学习障碍,
there are 276 boys.
男孩的对应数是276个。
For every 100 girls with an emotional disturbance diagnosed,
每100女孩有情绪紊乱症状,
we have 324 boys.
对应男孩数是324个。
And by the way, all of these numbers are significantly higher
顺便提一下,
if you happen to be black,
如果发生在黑人小孩,
if you happen to be poor,
贫穷的小孩身上,
if you happen to exist in an overcrowded school.
假如发生在拥挤不堪的学校上学的小孩身上,这所有数据还得更高。
And if you are a boy,
如果你是个男孩,
you're four times as likely to be diagnosed with ADHD
你比女孩更有四倍的可能性被诊断出ADHD症状-
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
注意力缺乏(或多动)症状。
Now there is another side to this.
现在讲到这还要提另一方面。
And it is important that we recognize that women still need help in school,
我们还要重视地认识到在学校女性还需要帮助,
that salaries are still significantly lower,
女性的工资还是相对地低,
even when controlled for job types,
甚至在工作种类上女性选择面也小,
and that girls have continued to struggle in math and science for years.
女孩还一直在数学和科学领域中挣扎奋斗多年。
That's all true.
这都是事实。
Nothing about that prevents us from paying attention to the literacy needs of our boys between ages three and 13.
但这不能阻止我们来关注年龄从3岁到13岁的男孩的扫盲问题。
And so we should.
我们应该关注这些男孩的问题。
In fact, what we ought to do is take a page from their playbook,
事实上,我们要做的是站在男孩的立场来思考解决问题,
because the initiatives and programs
因为在学校已设置的初级教学和课程计划
that have been set in place for women in science and engineering and mathematics are fantastic.
适合女孩在科学,工程学和数学方面有杰出表现。
They've done a lot of good for girls in these situations,
他们在这些情形下为女孩子作了很多好事。
and we ought to be thinking about how we can make that happen for boys too in their younger years.
我们该考虑一下我们该怎样让男孩在他们年少时也受到同样的待遇。
Even in their older years, what we find is that there's still a problem.
甚至在他们长大的岁月中,我们发现还是有问题的。