He tells his generals:"My decision is irrevocable."
他告诉他的将军:“我的决定不可改变。”
"I will attack France when the time is right. I will be victorious or die in the attempt."
“时机到了我就会攻击法国。不成功便成仁。”
Yet Hitler is still uncertain about attacking the west for he also says,
但希特勒仍对进攻西线感到不确定,因为他也说:
"War is like opening the door on a dark room. You never know what will happen."
“战争就像打开黑暗房间的门,你永远不知道会发生什么事。”
Eventually, he postpones the order to attack and goes back to his shelley in the Alps to join his mistress, Eva Braun.
最后他延缓进攻令,并回到阿尔卑斯山的小屋找他的情妇爱娃·布朗。
She shot this footage of Hitler's entourage of the Reich's architect, Albert Speer who goes for long walks with Hitler.
她拍下这段希特勒随员,帝国建筑师斯佩尔的影片,他常和希特勒散很久的步。
Speer recalls "Hitler wanted to rechristen Berlin 'Germania'."
斯佩尔回忆道:“希特勒想把柏林更名为‘日耳曼尼亚’。”
"We already had mocked up the future Adolf Hitler Square with a dome inspired by San Peters in Rome, but seventeen times bigger."
“我们已做好希特勒广场模型。广场圆顶的灵感来自罗马彼得大教堂,但比它大17倍。”
I said to him, "My Fuhrer, wouldn't that make a ideal target for bombers?"
我对他说:“元首,这样不会成为轰炸机的明显目标吗?”
He answered, "Not at all. Galin has assured me that no enemy aircraft will ever fly over the Reich."
他答道:“一点也不会。戈林对我保证敌军飞机永远不会飞到德国上空。”
From his barracks, the future German officer, Auguste Von Kaganick, writes to his mother,
在兵营中,未来的德国军官卡根尼克写信给母亲,
"We are all eager to fight. We are ready for battle."
“我们全都渴望作战,我们己准备好战斗了。”
His mother answers "This war is a crime. And we are going to have to pay for it."
他母亲回信说“这场战争是罪恶的,我们都得为此付出代价。”
The war then enters a new bizarre phase.
接着战争进入奇怪的新阶段。
The Germans call it der Sitzkrieg (the sitting war) .
德国人称之为“静坐战”。
The British call it the phoney war.
英国人称之为“假战”。
And for the French, it's Drole de guerre (the funny war) .
法国人则说这是“怪战”。
A long strange waiting period especially hard on the women.
这漫长奇怪的等待过程对妇女来说尤其艰辛。
For them, there is not only the anguish of the war but also the survival of their families to worry about.
她们不仅得烦恼战争,还得担忧家人的安危。