A singular notion dawned upon me.
我忽然闪过一个古怪的念头。
I doubted not- never doubted-that if Mr. Reed had been alive he would have treated me kindly.
我不怀疑—一也从来没有怀疑过 — 里德先生要是在世,一定会待我很好。
And now, as I sat looking at the white bed and overshadowed walls-occasionally also turning a fascinated eye towards the dimly gleaming mirror,
此刻,我坐着,一面打量着白白的床和影影绰绰的墙,不时还用经不住诱惑的目光,瞟一眼泛着微光的镜子,
I began to recall what I had heard of dead men, troubled in their graves by the violation of their last wishes,
不由得忆起了关于死人的种种传闻。据说由于人们违背了他们临终的嘱托,他们在坟墓里非常不安,
revisiting the earth to punish the perjured and avenge the oppressed.
于是便重访人间,严惩发假誓的人,并为受压者报仇。
And I thought Mr. Reed's spirit, harassed by the wrongs of his sister's child,
我思忖,里德先生的幽灵为外甥女的冤屈所动,
might quit its abode- whether in the church vault or in the unknown world of the departed, and rise before me in this chamber.
会走出居所,不管那是教堂的墓穴,还是死者无人知晓的世界,来到这间房子,站在我面前。
I wiped my tears and hushed my sobs, fearful lest any sign of violent grief might waken a preternatural voice to comfort me,
我抹去眼泪,忍住哭泣,担心嚎啕大哭会惊动什么不可知的声音来抚慰我,
or elicit from the gloom some haloed face, bending over me with strange pity.
或者在昏暗中召来某些带光环的面孔,露出奇异怜悯的神色,俯身对着我。
This idea, consolatory in theory, I felt would be terrible if realised.
这念头听起来很令人欣慰,不过要是真的做起来,想必会非常可怕。
With all my might I endeavoured to stifle it-I endeavoured to be firm.
我使劲不去想它,抬起头来,大着胆子环顾了一下暗洞洞的房间。
Shaking my hair from my eyes, I lifted my head and tried to look boldly round the dark room.
抬起头来,大着胆子环顾了一下暗洞洞的房间。
At this moment a light gleamed on the wall.
就在这时,墙上闪过一道亮光。
Was it, I asked myself, a ray from the moon penetrating some aperture in the blind?
我问自己,会不会是一缕月光,透过百叶窗的缝隙照了进来?
No, moonlight was still, and this stirred.
不,月光是静止的,而这透光却是流动的。
While I gazed, it glided up to the ceiling and quivered over my head.
停晴一看,这光线滑到了天花板上,在我头顶上抖动起来。
I can now conjecture readily that this streak of light was, in all likelihood, a gleam from a lantern carried by some one across the lawn.
现在我会很自然地联想到,那很可能是有人提着灯笼穿过草地时射进来的光。
But then, prepared as my mind was for horror, shaken as my nerves were by agitation,
但那会儿,我脑子里尽往恐怖处去想,我的神经也由于激动而非常紧张,
I thought the swift darting beam was a herald of some coming vision from another world.
我认为那道飞快掠过的光,是某个幽灵从另一个世界到来的先兆。
My heart beat thick, my head grew hot.
我的心怦怦乱跳,头脑又热又胀
A sound filled my ears, which I deemed the rushing of wings.
耳朵里呼呼作响,以为那是翅膀拍击声
Something seemed near me.
好像什么东西已经逼近我了。
I was oppressed, suffocated, endurance broke down;
我感到压抑,感到窒息,我的忍耐力崩溃了。
I rushed to the door and shook the lock in desperate effort.
禁不住发疯似地大叫了一声,冲向大门,拼命摇着门锁。
Steps came running along the outer passage; the key turned, Bessie and Abbot entered.
外面们廊上响起了飞跑而来的脚步声,钥匙转动了,贝茜和艾博特走进房间。
'Miss Eyre, are you ill?' said Bessie.
"爱小姐,你病了吗?"贝茜说。
'What a dreadful noise! It went quite through me!' exclaimed Abbot.
“发出那么恐怖的喊叫声!好似要穿透我了!”艾博特惊叹到。