"Comrades!" he cried.
“同志们”,他大声嚷道。
"You do not imagine, I hope, that we pigs are doing this in a spirit of selfishness and privilege?
“你们不会把我们猪这样做看成是出于自私和特权吧?我希望你们不。
Many of us actually dislike milk and apples. I dislike them myself.
我们中有许多猪根本不喜欢牛奶和苹果。我自己就很不喜欢。
Our sole object in taking these things is to preserve our health.
我们食用这些东西的唯一目的是要保护我们的健康。
Milk and apples (this has been proved by Science, comrades) contain substances absolutely necessary to the well-being of a pig.
牛奶和苹果(这一点已经被科学所证明,同志们)包含的营养对猪的健康来说是绝对必需的。
We pigs are brainworkers.
我们猪是脑力劳动者。
The whole management and organisation of this farm depend on us.
庄园的全部管理和组织工作都要依靠我们。
Day and night we are watching over your welfare.
我们夜以继日地为大家的幸福费尽心机。
It is for YOUR sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples.
因此,这是为了你们,我们才喝牛奶,才吃苹果的。
Do you know what would happen if we pigs failed in our duty?
你们知道吧,万一我们猪失职了,那会发生什么事情呢?
Jones would come back! Yes, Jones would come back!
琼斯会卷土重来!是的,琼斯会卷土重来!
Surely, comrades," cried Squealer almost pleadingly, skipping from side to side and whisking his tail,
真的,同志们!”斯奎拉一边左右蹦跳着,一边甩动着尾巴,几乎恳求地大喊道:
"surely there is no one among you who wants to see Jones come back?"
“真的,你没有谁想看到琼斯卷土重来吧?”
Now if there was one thing that the animals were completely certain of, it was that they did not want Jones back.
此时,如果说还有那么一件事情动物们能完全肯定的话,那就是他们不愿意让琼斯回来。
When it was put to them in this light, they had no more to say.
当斯奎拉的见解说明了这一点以后,他们就不再有什么可说的了。
The importance of keeping the pigs in good health was all too obvious.
使猪保持良好健康的重要性再也清楚不过了。
So it was agreed without further argument that the milk and the windfall apples
于是,再没有继续争论,大家便一致同意:牛奶和被风吹落的苹果
(and also the main crop of apples when they ripened) should be reserved for the pigs alone.
(并且还有苹果成熟后的主要收获)应当单独分配给猪。