The Empire has been surrounded by Barbarians on all sides
整个帝国被所谓的野蛮人四面包围
In the North by Celts who were in Wales and Scotland
在北部有威尔士与苏格兰的凯尔特人
And Germans and, gosh, that's just a really tough word to use in English it's so much easier
还有Germans日耳曼人,那是一个很复杂的词,在英语中实在太复杂了,在德语中要简单得多
Because in German we talk about Die Germanen and then people who are Germans
因为在德语中我们会说Die Germanen来表示日耳曼人
when you think about Germans the Deutsches and Tacitus, the Roman historian
但当想表达德国人,德意志人的时候,你会想到塔西佗,那个古罗马历史学家
even refer to him as the Die Deutsche, the T becomes a D
按他的说法叫做Die Deutsche, T变成了D
So now we're using a little word Germans
所以英语中,我们现在只用一个简单的词 Germans
Don't think of what we're talking about
但其实我们指的并不是德国人
I'm talking about the Germanic people
我在谈论的是日耳曼人
We're talking about all these different tribes
我们正在谈论所有这些日耳曼部落
We're talking about the Nordic Germans
我们在谈论北欧日耳曼人
We're talking about all these
我们在谈论所有的这些
Germans in the heart of Europe the Parthians in the east
日耳曼人位于欧洲的心脏地带,帕提亚人则位于东欧
What happens for about 500 years,
这五百年间发生了什么我想用一个德语词来概括
I will use one of these German words that I've been kind of in a friendly manner criticized for by students in the past
我曾经友好地用这个词,却受到我的学生的诟病
A volk, a volk is a folk as a people right
Volk是人们所写的民俗传说
You probably heard in criticism the term Vandalous,
你大概在一些批评中听到过汪达尔人作风的这个词
You know, desire to wander, being used in English as a word,
你知道的,渴望游走,在英语中被作为一个单词使用
German word use
这个其实来源于德语的词根
So these are people migrations, people wandering
所以不停地有人们迁徙,游荡
What happens is Germanic tribes move all over the place
日耳曼部落不停地四处迁徙
I have a map I'll give you in just a second
我有一幅地图等一下会给你们
Not that I expect you to memorize it,
我并不希望你们去记住它
not that I will ever ask anything about it,
我也不会问任何关于这个的问题
but it shows you where some of the Germanic tribes are
但是这个地图将向你们展现一些日耳曼部落的分布
How many of you had Spanish?
你们之中有多少人上过西班牙语课
What's one of the big things
你们记得他们教给你重要的
that they teach you about the Iberian Peninsula?
关于伊比利亚半岛的历史事件之一是什么
What are the things that they say are critically important in the history of Spain?
在西班牙的历史中,他们认为至关重要的事件是什么
Yeah, What happened in the 8th century?
对,就是在八世纪的时候发生了什么
Early 700s
公元700年早期
Moors Invasion, alright?
摩尔人的入侵,对吗
Who were there before the Moors?
在摩尔人之前是谁在哪里呢
The Visigoths
是西哥特人
Who were the Visigoths?
谁是西哥特人呢
Visigoths had a kingdom there
西哥特人在那里建立了一个王国
Visigoths were the West Goths they are a Germanic tribe
西哥特人代表西部的哥特人,是一个日耳曼部落
And so on this one map you'll see basically see these Germanen had really pretty much overrun the Europe
所以在这张地图上基本上你可以看到日耳曼人,确实足迹遍布了整个欧洲