John had not much affection for his mother and sisters, and an antipathy to me.
约翰对母亲和姐妹们没有多少感情,而对我则很厌恶。
He bullied and punished me.
他欺侮我,虐待我。
Not two or three times in the week, nor once or twice in the day, but continually.
不是一周三两次,也不是一天一两回,而是经常如此。
Every nerve I had feared him, and every morsel of flesh in my bones shrank when he came near.
弄得我每根神经都怕他,他一走近,我身子骨上的每块肌肉都会收缩起来。
There were moments when I was bewildered by the terror he inspired,
有时我会被他吓得手足无措,
because I had no appeal whatever against either his menaces or his inflictions.
因为面对他的恐吓和欺侮,我无处哭诉。
The servants did not like to offend their young master by taking my part against him, and Mrs. Reed was blind and deaf on the subject.
佣人们不愿站在我一边去得罪他们的少爷,而里德太太则装聋作哑,儿子打我骂我。
She never saw him strike or heard him abuse me, though he did both now and then in her very presence, more frequently, however, behind her back.
她熟视无睹,尽管他动不动当着她的面这样做,而背着她的时候不用说就更多了。
Habitually obedient to John, I came up to his chair.
我对约翰已惯于逆来顺受,因此便走到他椅子跟前。
He spent some three minutes in thrusting out his tongue at me as far as he could without damaging the roots.
他费了大约三分钟,拼命向我伸出舌头,就差没有绷断舌根。
I knew he would soon strike, and while dreading the blow, I mused on the disgusting and ugly appearance of him who would presently deal it.
我明白他会马上下手,一面担心挨打,一面凝视着这个就要动手的人那付令人厌恶的丑态。
I wonder if he read that notion in my face.
我不知道他看出了我的心思没有。
For, all at once, without speaking, he struck suddenly and strongly.
反正他二话没说,猛然间狠命揍我。
I tottered, and on regaining my equilibrium retired back a step or two from his chair.
我一个踉跄,从他椅子前倒退了一两步才站稳身子。
'That is for your impudence in answering mama awhile since,' said he.
“这是对你的教训,谁叫你刚才那么无礼跟妈妈顶嘴,”他说。
'And for your sneaking way of getting behind curtains, and for the look you had in your eyes two minutes since, you rat!'
“谁叫你鬼鬼祟祟躲到窗帘后面,谁叫你两分钟之前眼光里露出那付鬼样子,你这耗子!”
Accustomed to John Reed's abuse, I never had an idea of replying to it.
我已经习惯于约翰。里德的谩骂,从来不愿去理睬。
My care was how to endure the blow which would certainly follow the insult.
一心只想着加何去忍受辱骂以后必然接踪而来的殴打。
'What were you doing behind the curtain?' he asked.
“你躲在窗帘后面干什么?”他问。
'I was reading.'
“在看书。”
'Show the book.'
“把书拿来。”
I returned to the window and fetched it thence.
我走回窗前把书取来。
'You have no business to take our books.
“你没有资格动我们的书。
You are a dependant, mama says.
妈妈说的,你靠别人养活你。
You have no money.
你没有钱。
Your father left you none.
你爸爸什么也没留给你。
You ought to beg, and not to live here with gentlemen's children like us, and eat the same meals we do, and wear clothes at our mama's expense.
你应当去讨饭,而不该同像我们这样体面人家的孩子一起过日子,不该同我们吃一样的饭,穿妈妈掏钱给买的衣服。
Now, I'll teach you to rummage my bookshelves
现在我要教训你,让你知道翻我们书架的好处。
For they are mine. All the house belongs to me, or will do in a few years.
这些书都是我的,连整座房子都是,要不过几年就归我了。
Go and stand by the door, out of the way of the mirror and the windows.'
滚,站到门边去,离镜子和窗子远些。"