With Bewick on my knee, I was then happy: happy at least in my way.
当时,我膝头摊着比尤伊克的书,心里乐滋滋的,至少是自得其乐。
I feared nothing but interruption, and that came too soon.
就怕别人来打扰。但打扰来得很快。
The breakfast-room door was opened.
餐室的门开了。
'Boh! Madam Mope!' cried the voice of John Reed; then he paused: he found the room apparently empty.
“嘘!苦恼小姐!”约翰。里德叫唤着,随后又打住了,显然发觉房间里空无一人。
'Where the dickens is she!'
“见鬼,上哪儿去了呀?”
He continued. 'Lizzy! Georgy! (calling to his sisters) Joan is not here. Tell mama she is run out into the rain- bad animal!'
他接着说。“丽茜!乔琪!”(喊着他的姐妹)“琼不在这儿呐,告诉妈妈她窜到雨地里去了,这个坏畜牲!”
'It is well I drew the curtain,' thought I.
“幸亏我拉好了窗帘,”我想。
And I wished fervently he might not discover my hiding-place, nor would John Reed have found it out himself.
我真希望他发现不了我的藏身之地。约翰。里德自己是发现不了的。
He was not quick either of vision or conception.
他眼睛不尖,头脑不灵。
But Eliza just put her head in at the door, and said at once.'She is in the window-seat, to be sure, Jack.'
可惜伊丽莎从门外一探进头来,就说:“她在窗台上,准没错,杰克。”
And I came out immediately, for I trembled at the idea of being dragged forth by the said Jack.
我立即走了出来,因为一想到要被这个杰克硬拖出去,身子便直打哆嗦。
'What do you want?' I asked, with awkward diffidence.
什么事呀?”我问,既尴尬又不安。
'Say, "What do you want, Master Reed?"' was the answer.
“该说,什么事呀,里德‘少爷?’”便是我得到的回答。
'I want you to come here.'
“我要你到这里来。”
And seating himself in an armchair, he intimated by a gesture that I was to approach and stand before him.
他在扶手椅上坐下,打了个手势,示意我走过去站到他面前。
John Reed was a schoolboy of fourteen years old; four years older than I.For I was but ten.
约翰。里德是个十四岁的小学生,比我大四岁,因为我才十岁。
Large and stout for his age, with a dingy and unwholesome skin; thick lineaments in a spacious visage, heavy limbs and large extremities.
论年龄,他长得又大又胖,但肤色灰暗,一付病态。脸盘阔,五官粗,四肢肥,手膨大。
He gorged himself habitually at table, which made him bilious, and gave him a dim and bleared eye and flabby cheeks.
还喜欢暴饮暴食,落得个肝火很旺,目光迟钝,两颊松弛。
He ought now to have been at school.
这阵子,他本该呆在学校里。
But his mama had taken him home for a month or two, on account of his delicate health.
可是他妈把他领了回来,住上—、两个月,说是因为“身体虚弱”。
Mr. Miles, the master, affirmed that he would do very well if he had fewer cakes and sweetmeats sent him from home.
但他老师迈尔斯先生却断言,要是家里少送些糕点糖果去,他会什么都很好的。
But the mother's heart turned from an opinion so harsh,
做母亲的心里却讨厌这么刻薄的话,
and inclined rather to the more refined idea that John's sallowness was owing to over-application and, perhaps, to pining after home.
而倾向于一种更随和的想法,认为约翰是过于用功,或许还因为想家,才弄得那么面色蜡黄的。