Dulce Et Decorum Est - Wilfred Owen
Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
深深地弯下腰,就像压在麻包下的老乞丐,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
两腿内弯,像丑陋的老太婆在咳嗽,我们咒骂着穿过污秽,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs. And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
直到闪耀的火光浮现,我们才背转身,向着我们遥远的憩息处开始跋涉。
Men marched asleep.
人们在昏昏欲睡中行军。
Many had lost their boots But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
许多人丢掉了鞋子但却瘸行,穿着带血的鞋。都变瘸了,都失去了控制;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots Of disappointed shells that dropped behind.
都因疲惫而迷醉,全然听不见落在背后令人失望的炮弹的轰鸣。
Gas! Gas! Quick, boys! – An ecstasy of fumbling, Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
毒气!毒气!兄弟们,快!——一阵狂乱的摸索,刚刚掐着时间套好笨拙的面具;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling, And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime...
但是仍有人在呼救,在蹒跚、在挣扎,一边挣扎,好像人掉进了烈火和石灰…
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light, As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
屋外灰蒙蒙一片,透过挂满露珠的窗玻璃和窗外泛着浓绿色的光线,我看到他淹没在绿色的海洋里。
In all my dreams, before my helpless sight, He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.
在我所有的梦中,在我感到无助和恐怖的时刻,他总是冲向我,一会儿在水中左右摇摆、挣扎,被水淹没,
If in some smothering dreams you too could pace Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
如果在令人窒息的梦中你也能迈步,跟随我们将他扔进的那辆大车,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face, His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
望着他的脸上白色的眼珠不停地转动,他的一张吊死鬼的脸,就像恶魔一样可怖;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
如果你也能听见血液随着每次颠簸咕咕地从被泡沫腐蚀的肺部涌出,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
猥琐如癌症,苦涩如那反刍物,无药可医的恶疮感染了无辜的舌头,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest To children ardent for some desperate glory,
我的朋友,你就不会带着如此高涨的豪情向那些燃烧着荣耀欲火的孩子们宣谕,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est Pro patria mori.
那古老的谎言:“美哉!宜哉!”为祖国牺牲愉快而又光荣。
小编按语:谨以此文哀悼在天津码头爆炸中牺牲的那些最可爱的消防官兵们!