Impulse arrested spills over, and the flood is feeling, the flood is passion, the flood is even madness: it depends on the force of the current, the height and strength of the barrier.
冲动受到阻碍就会横流放肆,那横流放肆的是感觉,是激情,甚至是疯狂:究竟是什么呢?这得决定于水流的力量和障碍的高度与强度。
The unchecked stream flows smoothly down its appointed channels into a calm well-being.
没有受到阻碍的水流就沿着既定的渠道和平地流人静谧的幸福。
(The embryo is hungry; day in, day out, the blood-surrogate pump unceasingly turns its eight hundred revolutions a minute.
胚胎饿了,代血剂泵就日夜不停地转,每分钟八百次。
The decanted infant howls; at once a nurse appears with a bottle of external secretion.
换了瓶的胎儿哭了,护士立即拿来外分泌瓶。
Feeling lurks in that interval of time between desire and its consummation.
感情就在欲望与满足的间歇里隐藏。
Shorten that interval, break down all those old unnecessary barriers.
间歇要缩短,打倒不必要的旧障碍。
"Fortunate boys!" said the Controller. "No pains have been spared to make your lives emotionally easy–to preserve you, so far as that is possible, from having emotions at all."
“幸运的孩子们!”总统说,“为了减轻你们生活中的感情折磨我们不辞一切辛劳——只要有可能,决不让你们产生感情冲动。”
"Ford's in his flivver," murmured the D.H.C. "All's well with the world."
“福帝在车,”主任念念有词,“天下太平。”
"Lenina Crowne?" said Henry Foster, echoing the Assistant Predestinator's question as he zipped up his trousers.
“列宁娜·克朗吗?”亨利·福斯特拉上裤子拉链,回答局长助理说。
"Oh, she's a splendid girl. Wonderfully pneumatic. I'm surprised you haven't had her."
“哦,她是个非常好的姑娘,极有灵气。可你居然没有得到过她,我很意外。”
"I can't think how it is I haven't," said the Assistant Predestinator.
“我想不出我怎么会没有得到过她,”命运预定局局长助理说,
"I certainly will. At the first opportunity."
“有机会我肯定会的。”
From his place on the opposite side of the changing-room aisle, Bernard Marx overheard what they were saying and turned pale.
换瓶室走道那边的伯纳·马克思偷听到两人的谈话,脸色苍白了。
"And to tell the truth," said Lenina, "I'm beginning to get just a tiny bit bored with nothing but Henry every day."
“说实话,”列宁娜说,“每天都跟亨利一起,再没有别的东西,我也觉得厌倦。”
She pulled on her left stocking. "Do you know Bernard Marx?"
她拉上了左脚的袜子。“你认得伯纳·马克思吗?”
she asked in a tone whose excessive casualness was evidently forced.
她说话时口气过分随便,显然是装出来的。
Fanny looked startled. "You don't mean to say …?"
范尼露出吃惊的神色。“你不会是说……。”
"Why not? Bernard's an Alpha Plus. Besides, he asked me to go to one of the Savage Reservations with him.
“为什么不行?伯纳是个阿尔法加,而且他约过我和他一起到野蛮人保留地去。
I've always wanted to see a Savage Reservation."
那地方我一直就想去看看呢。”
"But his reputation?"
“可是他那名声?”
"What do I care about his reputation?"
“我为什么非得要管他的什么名声?”
"They say he doesn't like Obstacle Golf."
“据说他不喜欢玩障碍高尔夫。”
"They say, they say," mocked Lenina.
“据说,据说。”列宁娜嘲笑范尼。
"And then he spends most of his time by himself–alone." There was horror in Fanny's voice.
“而且他大部分时间都一个人过——孤独。”范尼的口气带着害怕。
"Well, he won't be alone when he's with me. And anyhow, why are people so beastly to him?
“晤,可他跟我在一起就不会孤独了。而且,大家对他为什么那么恶劣?
I think he's rather sweet." She smiled to herself; how absurdly shy he had been!
我倒觉得他挺可爱的。”她悄悄地笑了。伯纳那羞涩的态度多么荒谬!
Frightened almost–as though she were a World ControUer and he a Gamma-Minus machine minder.
几乎是害怕——就好像她是世界总统,而伯纳却是个管理机器的伽玛减似的。
"Consider your own lives," said Mustapha Mond. "Has any of you ever encountered an insurmountable obstacle?"
“想一想你们自己的生活吧,”穆斯塔法·蒙德说,“你们有谁遇到过无法克服的困难没有?”
The question was answered by a negative silence.
回答是沉默,表示否定。