"I next called upon Madame Charpentier," continued the detective.
"我跟着就去拜访了夏朋婕太太,"这位侦探接着说,
"I found her very pale and distressed.
"我发现她的脸色非常苍白,她的神情十分不安。
Her daughter was in the room, too–an uncommonly fine girl she is, too;
她的女儿也在房里--她真是一位非常漂亮的姑娘。
she was looking red about the eyes and her lips trembled as I spoke to her.
当我和她谈话的时候,她的眼睛红红的,嘴唇不住地颤抖。
That didn't escape my notice.
这些自然都逃不过我的眼睛。
I began to smell a rat.
于是我就开始怀疑起来。
You know the feeling, Mr. Sherlock Holmes,
福尔摩斯先生,你是懂得的,
when you come upon the right scent–a kind of thrill in your nerves.
当你发现正确线索时,那是一股什么劲儿,只觉得混身舒畅得使人发抖。
'Have you heard of the mysterious death of your late boarder Mr. Enoch J. Drebber, of Cleveland?' I asked.
我就问道:'你们听到你们以前的房客克利夫兰城的锥伯先生被人暗杀的消息了吗?'
"The mother nodded. She didn't seem able to get out a word.
"这位太太点了点头,她似乎连话都说不出来了。
The daughter burst into tears.
她的女儿却不禁流下眼泪来。
I felt more than ever that these people knew something of the matter. "
我越看越觉得他们对于这个案情必有所知。"
'At what o'clock did Mr. Drebber leave your house for the train?' I asked.
我问道:'锥伯先生几点钟离开你们这里去车站的?'
"'At eight o'clock,' she said, gulping in her throat to keep down her agitation.
"'八点钟,'她不住地咽着唾沫,压抑着激动的情绪说,
'His secretary, Mr. Stangerson, said that there were two trains– one at 9:15 and one at 11.
'他的秘书斯坦节逊先生说:有两班去利物浦的火车,一班是九点十五分,一班是十一点。
He was to catch the first.'
他是赶第一班火车的。'
"'And was that the last which you saw of him?'"
"'这是你们最后一次见面吗?'"
A terrible change came over the woman's face as I asked the question.Her features turned perfectly livid.
我一提出这个问题,那个女人倏地一下变得面无人色。
It was some seconds before she could get out the single word 'Yes'
好大一会功夫,她才回答说:'是最后一次。'
and when it did come it was in a husky, unnatural tone.
可是她说话的时候声音沙哑,极不自然。"
"There was silence for a moment, and then the daughter spoke in a calm, clear voice. "
沉默了一会以后,这位姑娘开口了。她的态度很镇静,口齿也很清楚。
'No good can ever come of falsehood, mother,' she said.
"她说:'说谎是没有什么好处的,妈妈,
'Let us be frank with this gentleman.
咱们跟这位先生还是坦白地说好了。
We did see Mr. Drebber again.'
后来我们的确又见到过锥伯先生。'
"'God forgive you!' cried Madame Charpentier, throwing up her hands and sinking back in her chair.
"'愿上帝饶恕你!'夏朋婕太太双手一伸,喊了一声,就向后倚在椅背上了,
'You have murdered your brother.'
'你可害了你的哥哥了!'
"'Arthur would rather that we spoke the truth,' the girl answered firmly. "
"'阿瑟一定也愿意咱们说实话。'这位姑娘坚决地回答说。"
'You had best tell me all about it now,' I said.
我就说道:'你们现在最好还是全部告诉我吧。
'Half-confidences are worse than none.
这样吞吞吐吐的,还不如根本不谈。
Besides, you do not know how much we know of it.'
况且,你们也不知道我们究竟掌握了多少情况呢。'
"'On your head be it, Alice!' cried her mother; and then, turning to me,
"'都是你,爱莉丝!'她妈妈高声地说,一面又转过身来对我说,
'I will tell you all, sir.
'我通通告诉你吧,先生。
Do not imagine that my agitation on behalf of my son arises from any fear lest he should have had a hand in this terrible affair.
你不要以为,一提起我的儿子我就着急,是因为他和这个人命案子有什么关系。
He is utterly innocent of it.
他完全是清白无罪的。
My dread is, however, that in your eyes and in the eyes of others he may appear to be compromised.
可是我顾虑的是,在你们或是别人看来,他似乎是有嫌疑的。
That, however, is surely impossible.
但是,这是绝不可能的。
His high character, his profession, his antecedents would all forbid it.'
他的高贵气质、他的职业、他的过去都能证明这一点。'
"'Your best way is to make a clean breast of the facts,' I answered.
"我说:'你最好还是把事实和盘托出。
'Depend upon it, if your son is innocent he will be none the worse.'
相信我好啦,如果你的儿子真是清白无罪,他绝不会受到什么委屈的。'
"'Perhaps, Alice, you had better leave us together,' she said, and her daughter withdrew.
"她说:'爱莉丝,你最好出去一下,让我们两个人谈吧。'于是她的女儿就走了出去。
'Now, sir,' she continued, 'I had no intention of telling you all this,
她接着说:'唉,先生,我原不想把这些告诉你,
but since my poor daughter has disclosed it I have no alternative.
可是我的女儿已经说破,现在已经没有别的法子,我也只好说出来吧。
Having once decided to speak, I will tell you all without omitting any particular.'
我既然打算说,那就一点也不保留。'
"'It is your wisest course,' said I.
"我说:'这才是真聪明呢。'