手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED十佳演讲话题 > 正文

TED十佳演讲之什么是爱:爱,本无条件(3)

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

And I said to her, "What do you think you did

我对她说, "你觉得你做了什么
that helped him to emerge as this charming, accomplished, wonderful person?"
帮他成为一个有魅力、成功、精彩的人吗?"
And she said, "What did I do? I loved him, that's all.
她说,"我做了什么?我爱他,就这样
Clinton just always had that light in him.
克林顿一直都有这样的光芒,
And his father and I were lucky enough to be the first to see it there."
他的父亲和我很幸运,最早看见了他的光芒。”
I'm going to quote from another magazine of the '60s.
我要去引述1960年代,另一家杂志刊载的话
This one is from 1968 -- The Atlantic Monthly, voice of liberal America --
这是1968年出版的大西洋月刊,美国的自由主义之声
written by an important bioethicist.
作者是知名的生物伦理学专家
He said, "There is no reason to feel guilty
他说,"对于遗弃唐氏综合症的婴孩
about putting a Down syndrome child away,
我们不必感到内疚
whether it is put away in the sense of hidden in a sanitarium
无论是将其送到疗养院去
or in a more responsible, lethal sense.
或者用更负责也更致命的方式
It is sad, yes -- dreadful. But it carries no guilt.
这很可悲,也很可怕,但不需要有罪恶感
True guilt arises only from an offense against a person,
真正有内疚只源于侵犯人,
and a Down's is not a person."
而唐氏综合症患者不是人。”
There's been a lot of ink given to the enormous progress that we've made
关于同性恋者处境的大幅度进步
in the treatment of gay people.
已经有很多文章就此发表观点
The fact that our attitude has changed is in the headlines every day.
每天都有头条报导,人们对同性恋的态度已有所转变
But we forget how we used to see people who had other differences,
但我们遗忘了过去是怎么看待,不同于大众的人
how we used to see people who were disabled,
忘了过去是怎么看待残障人士的
how inhuman we held people to be.
忘了我们曾经多么不人道
And the change that's been accomplished there,
在那些方面的改变
which is almost equally radical,
几乎同样激进
is one that we pay not very much attention to.
我们却未给予更多的重视
One of the families I interviewed, Tom and Karen Robards,
我采访过罗巴兹家族的,汤姆和凯伦夫妇
were taken aback when, as young and successful New Yorkers,
他们当年是年轻有为的纽约人
their first child was diagnosed with Down syndrome.
在得知他们第一个孩子,患有唐氏综合征时大为惊讶
They thought the educational opportunities for him were not what they should be,
他们认为儿子并未得到应有的教育
and so they decided they would build a little center --
于是他们决定成立一个小型教育机构
two classrooms that they started with a few other parents --
两间教室里,他们开始和其他的父母
to educate kids with D.S.
一起教育唐氏综合症儿童
And over the years, that center grew into something called the Cooke Center,
多年后,该机构发展为库克中心
where there are now thousands upon thousands
现在有成千上万的
of children with intellectual disabilities who are being taught.
智障儿童在这里接受教育
In the time since that Atlantic Monthly story ran,
自从大西洋月刊,刊载了那片文章以来
the life expectancy for people with Down syndrome has tripled.
唐氏综合征患者的寿命,增加了两倍
The experience of Down syndrome people includes those who are actors,
唐氏综合征的人有些是演员
those who are writers, some who are able to live fully independently in adulthood.
作家,有些在成年后,能完全独立生活
The Robards had a lot to do with that.
罗巴兹夫妇的贡献很大
And I said, "Do you regret it?
我问他们:“你们会遗憾吗?
Do you wish your child didn't have Down syndrome?
你们希望自己的孩子,没有唐氏综合征吗?
Do you wish you'd never heard of it?"
是否希望从未听说过这种病症?"
And interestingly his father said,
有趣的是这位父亲说,
"Well, for David, our son, I regret it,
"嗯,从我们的儿子大卫角度来看,我感到遗憾,
because for David, it's a difficult way to be in the world,
因为对于大卫来说,这个世界里唐氏患儿的路走得非常艰辛
and I'd like to give David an easier life.
我想要给大卫更轻松的生活
But I think if we lost everyone with Down syndrome, it would be a catastrophic loss."
但我认为,如果世界上不再有唐氏症患儿,会是很大的损失。”
And Karen Robards said to me, "I'm with Tom.
凯伦罗巴兹说:“我同意汤姆的看法
For David, I would cure it in an instant to give him an easier life.
为了让大卫活得更自在,我会想瞬间治愈他的唐氏综合症
But speaking for myself -- well, I would never have believed 23 years ago when he was born
但对我来说, 23年前他刚出生时,我绝不相信
that I could come to such a point --
我能走到今天这一步
speaking for myself, it's made me so much better and so much kinder
对我来说,他的病,让我成为更好,更善良的人
and so much more purposeful in my whole life,
让我的人生更有意义
that speaking for myself, I wouldn't give it up for anything in the world."
对我来说,这样的经验,是世界上任何其他东西都换不来的"
We live at a point when social acceptance for these and many other conditions
现代社会对这样那样的病症的接受程度
is on the up and up.
越来越高
And yet we also live at the moment
然而,此时此刻
when our ability to eliminate those conditions
我们治愈这些病症的能力
has reached a height we never imagined before.
也已经达到一个前所未有的高度
Most deaf infants born in the United States now
现在美国新生的耳聋婴儿
will receive Cochlear implants,
都会接受人工耳蜗植入手术,
which are put into the brain and connected to a receiver,
将人工耳蜗植入大脑,并连上接收器
and which allow them to acquire a facsimile of hearing and to use oral speech.
通过接收信号,这让他们具有听说的能力
A compound that has been tested in mice, BMN-111,
有一种叫 BMN-111的化合物,经老鼠实验
is useful in preventing the action of the achondroplasia gene.
在抑制软骨发育不全基因方面,非常有效
Achondroplasia is the most common form of dwarfism,
软骨发育不全,是侏儒症最常见的表现形式
and mice who have been given that substance and who have the achondroplasia gene,
有软骨发育不全基因的小鼠,摄取BMN-11以后
grow to full size.
可以生长到正常体型
Testing in humans is around the corner.
临床试验指日可待
There are blood tests which are making progress
通过血液检测唐氏综合症的技术也在进步
that would pick up Down syndrome more clearly and earlier in pregnancies than ever before,
可以在怀孕早期,更明确地检测出唐氏综合症
making it easier and easier for people to eliminate those pregnancies,
使它更容易尽早终止
or to terminate them.
唐氏综合症胎儿妊娠
And so we have both social progress and medical progress.
我们的社会进步了,医学也发展了
And I believe in both of them.
我认同这两方面的进步
I believe the social progress is fantastic and meaningful and wonderful,
我相信社会的进步,精彩且有意义
and I think the same thing about the medical progress.
我认为医学的进步,也是如此
But I think it's a tragedy when one of them doesn't see the other.
但我认为两者互不理解,着实可悲
And when I see the way they're intersecting
当我看到他们交汇的方式
in conditions like the three I've just described,
像我刚才描述的三个病例
I sometimes think it's like those moments in grand opera
我有时觉得这就像,那些悲壮的歌剧
when the hero realizes he loves the heroine
当英雄意识到,他爱上女主角的时候
at the exact moment that she lies expiring on a divan.
就是女主角躺在长沙发上,奄奄一息
We have to think about how we feel about cures altogether.
我们要全盘考量对于治愈的态度

重点单词   查看全部解释    
syndrome ['sindrəum]

想一想再看

n. 综合症,典型表现

联想记忆
enormous [i'nɔ:məs]

想一想再看

adj. 巨大的,庞大的

联想记忆
catastrophic [.kætə'strɔfik]

想一想再看

adj. 悲惨的,灾难的

 
radical ['rædikəl]

想一想再看

adj. 激进的,基本的,彻底的
n. 激进分

 
liberal ['libərəl]

想一想再看

adj. 慷慨的,大方的,自由主义的
n. 自

联想记忆
substance ['sʌbstəns]

想一想再看

n. 物质,实质,内容,重要性,财产

联想记忆
produce [prə'dju:s]

想一想再看

n. 产品,农作物
vt. 生产,提出,引起,

联想记忆
accomplished [ə'kɔmpliʃt]

想一想再看

adj. 娴熟的,有造诣的,完成的,有成就的,毫无疑问的

联想记忆
needless ['ni:dlis]

想一想再看

adj. 不需要的,无用的

 
guilt [gilt]

想一想再看

n. 罪行,内疚

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。