Thirteen years ago,we set ourselves a goal to end poverty.
十三年前,我们设了一个目标, 结束贫困。
After some success,we've hit a big hurdle.
在取得一些小成功后,我们遇到了瓶颈。
The aftermath of the financial crisis has begun to hit aid payments,which have fallen for two consecutive years.
财政危机的后果开始冲击救助款项,而且连续两年都在减少。
My question is whether the lessons learned from saving the financial system can be used to help us overcome that hurdle and help millions.
我的问题就是, 从挽救财政系统中得到的这些教训能否用来帮助我们克服这瓶颈,也帮助数以百万的人民。
Can we simply print money for aid?
我们是否能直接印钞以提供救助呢?
Surely not.
当然不可以。
It's a common reaction.
这是人们正常的反应
It's a quick talk.
这是一个短对话。
Others channel John McEnroe.
人们和约翰?麦肯罗的对话。
You cannot be serious!
你开玩笑的吧!
Now, I can't do the accent, but I am serious,thanks to these two children,who, as you'll learn, are very much at the heart of my talk.
我没办法模仿他的口音, 但我是认真的,多亏了这两个孩子,等下你们就会知道, 他们是我这个演讲的中心。
On the left, we have Pia.
左边这个女孩,名叫皮娅。
She lives in England.
她住在英格兰。
She has two loving parents,one of whom is standing right here.
她的双亲都很和蔼可亲,其中一个,就站在这里。
Dorothy, on the right,lives in rural Kenya.
桃乐茜,右边的孩子,住在肯尼亚农村。
She's one of 13,000 orphans and vulnerable children who are assisted by a charity that I support.
她是一万三千孤儿和弱势儿童中的一员,她在接受我所资助的 一个慈善机构的帮助。
I do that because I believe that Dorothy, like Pia,deserves the best life chances that we can afford to give her.
我这么做,是因为我相信桃乐茜,像皮娅一样,值得拥有我们能给予她的最好的生活条件。
You'll all agree with me, I'm sure.
我相信你们会同意我的话的。
The U.N. agrees too.
联合国也这么认为。
Their overriding aim for international aid is to strive for a life of dignity for all.
他们对于国际援助的最高目标就是为所有人争取生命的尊严。
But,and here's that hurdle can we afford our aid aspirations?
但,这儿出现了瓶颈,我们能负担得起这样的援助渴望吗?
History suggests not.
历史告诉我们,不能。
In 1970, governments set themselves a target to increase overseas aid payments to 0.7 percent of their national income.
在1970年,政府们给自己定了个目标要增加海外的救助款项,增加到占国民收入的0.7%。
As you can see, a big gap opens up between actual aid and that target.
在这里你能看到, 在实际救助和目标之间出现了一个大的空缺。
But then come the Millennium Development Goals,eight ambitious targets to be met by 2015.
接着,出来了千年发展目标,要在2015年前要完成八大目标。
If I tell you that just one of those targets is to eradicate extreme hunger and poverty,you get a sense of the ambition.
如果我告诉你们,其中一个目标就是要消除极度饥饿和贫困,你们会觉得这雄心勃勃。
There's also been some success.
还是取得一些成功的。
The number of people living on less than $1.25 a day has halved.
每天生活费低于1.25美金的人数已经减少了一半。
But a lot remains to be done in two years.
当然未来的两年还有很多的事要做。
One in eight remain hungry.
还有八分之一的人口处于饥饿的水平。
In the context of this auditorium,the front two rows aren't going to get any food.
拿这个讲厅打个比方,前两排的观众将得不到任何食物。
We can't settle for that,which is why the concern about the eighth goal,which relates to funding,which I said at the beginning is falling,is so troubling.
这点我们没法满足,这就是为什么第八个目标,是如此的麻烦,因为它涉及到资金,就是我开头说的开始在减少的资金。
So what can be done?
那么,我们能做什么呢?
Well, I work in financial markets,not development.
嗯,我从事金融市场工作,不是发展研究。