I was on the point of asking him what that work might be,
我几乎就要问他,他的工作究竟是什么的时候,
but something in his manner showed me that the question would be an unwelcome one.
我从他的态度中看出来,这个问题也许会引其他的不高兴。
I pondered over our short conversation, however, and endeavoured to draw my deductions from it.
于是我便把我们的短短谈话考虑了一番,尽力想从这里边得出一些可资推论的线索来。
He said that he would acquire no knowledge which did not bear upon his object.
他说他不愿去追求那些与他所研究的东西无关的知识,
Therefore all the knowledge which he possessed was such as would be useful to him.
因此他所具有的一切知识,当然都是对他有用的了。
I enumerated in my own mind all the various points upon which he had shown me that he was exceptionally well informed.
我就在心中把他所了解得特别深的学科一一列举出来,
I even took a pencil and jotted them down. I could not help smiling at the document when I had completed it.
而且用铅笔把它写了出来。写完了一看,我忍不住笑了。
It ran in this way:
原来是这样:
Sherlock Holmes–his limits
歇洛克·福尔摩斯的学识范围
1.Knowledge of Literature--Nil.
1.文学知识--无
2.Knowledge of Philosophy-–Nil.
2.哲学知识——无。
3.Knowledge of Astronomy-–Nil.
3.天文学知识——无。
4.Knowledge of Politics-–Feeble.
4.政治学知识——浅薄。
5.Knowledge of Botany-–Variable.
5.植物学知识——不全面,
Well up in belladonna, opium,and poisons generally. Knows nothing of practical gardening.
但对于莨蓿制剂和鸦片却知之甚详。对毒剂有一般的了解,而对于实用园艺学却一无所知。
6. Knowledge of Geology.–-Practical, but limited.
6.地质学知识--偏于实用,但也有限。
Tells at a glance different soils from each other.
但他一眼就能分辨出不同的土质。
After walks has shown me splashes upon his trousers,
他在散步回来后,曾把溅在他的裤子上的泥点给我看,
and told me by their colour and consistence in what part of London he had received them.
并且能根据泥点的颜色和坚实程度说明是在伦敦什么地方溅上的。
7.Knowledge of Chemistry--Profound.
7.化学知识--精深。
8.Knowledge of Anatomy--Accurate, but unsystematic.
8.解剖学知识--准确,但无系统。
9.Knowledge of Sensational Literature--Immense.
9.惊险文学——很广博,
He appears toknow every detail of every horror perpetrated in the century.
他似乎对近一世纪中发生的一切恐怖事件都深知底细。
10.Plays the violin well.
10.提琴拉得很好。
11.Is an expert singlestick player, boxer, and swordsman.
11.善使棍棒,也精于刀剑拳术。
12.Has a good practical knowledge of British law.
12.关于英国法律方面,他具有充分实用的知识。
When I had got so far in my list I threw it into the fire in despair.
我写了这些条,很觉失望。我把它扔在火里,
“If I can only find what the fellow is driving at by reconciling all these accomplishments,
自言自语地说:"如果我把这些本领一一联系起来,
and discovering a calling which needs them all,” I said to myself,
以求找出一种需要所有这些本领的行业来,
“I may as well give up the attempt at once.”
那我还不如马上放弃这种企图为妙。"
I see that I have alluded above to his powers upon the violin.
我记得在前面曾提到过他拉提琴的本事。
These were very remarkable, but as eccentric as all his other accomplishments.
他提琴拉得很出色,但也象他的其他本领一样,有些古怪出奇之处。
That he could play pieces, and difficult pieces, I knew well,
我深知他能拉出一些曲子,而且还是一些很难拉的曲子。
because at my request he has played me some of Mendelssohn’s Lieder, and other favourites.
因为在我的请求之下,他曾经为我拉过几支门德尔松的短歌和一些他所喜爱的曲子。
When left to himself, however, he would seldom produce any music or attempt any recognized air.
可是当他独自一人的时候,他就难得会拉出什么象样的乐曲或是大家所熟悉的调子了。
Leaning back in his armchair of an evening, he would close his eyes and scrape carelessly at the fiddle which was thrown across his knee.
黄昏时,他靠在扶手椅上,闭上眼睛,信手弹弄着平放在膝上的提琴。
Sometimes the chords were sonorous and melancholy.
有时琴声高亢而忧郁,
Occasionally they were fantastic and cheerful.
有时又古怪而欢畅。
Clearly they reflected the thoughts which possessed him, but whether the music aided those thoughts,
显然,这些琴声反映了当时支配着他的某种思潮,不过这些曲调是否助长了他的这种思潮,
or whether the playing was simply the result of a whim or fancy, was more than I could determine.
或者仅仅是一时兴之所至,我就无法断言了。
I might have rebelled against these exasperating solos had it not been that he usually terminated them
对于他的那些刺耳的独奏,我感到十分不耐烦;
by playing in quick succession a whole series of my favourite airs as a slight compensation for the trial upon my patience.
如果不是他常常在这些曲子之后,接连拉上几支我喜爱的曲子,作为对我耐心的小小补偿,我真要暴跳起来。