And one of my greatest lessons
我在建立并且经营推特和
that I learned in starting
建立和经营Square的时候
and running Twitter and starting and running Square was
学到的最大的教训是
how important it is to instrument all usage.
是一定要监测一切应用行为
You have to instrument everything.
你必须要监测所有事情
For the first two years of Twitter's life,
推特诞生的头两年
we were flying blind.
我们经营的很盲目
We had no idea what was going on with the network.
我们不知道这个网络会怎么样
We had no idea what was going on with the system,
我们不知道这个系统会怎么样
with how people were using it. We were making guesses.
也不知道人们用得怎么样,我们只是在猜测
We were basing everything on intuition instead of
我们在所有事情都建立在直觉的基础上
having a good balance between intuition and data.
而并没有很好地数据依据
We were going down all the time because of it,
因此,我们的业绩一路下滑
because we could not see what was happening.
也因为我们无法预测会发生什么
So, the first thing I wrote for Square
所以我们为Square在服务器上编写的
on the server was an admin dashboard.
第一个东西就是管理控制台
We have a very, very strong discipline
我们公司内部
within the company,
有很强的纪律性
which is now 72 people,
现在公司已经有72人
to log everything,
负责记录一切
to measure everything and to test everything.
衡量一切,测试一切
We treat the dashboard, we treat the analytics,
我们要管理控制台,管理分析
we treat the data as a product.
要像管理产品一样管理数据
We call it the inference team.
我们叫做推理队
Their job is to instrument all usage
他们的工作就是监测一切应用行为
and infer all action.
并推断所有的行动
That's something that we need.
这是我们所需要的
But it's also something that our users need.
也是我们的用户所需要的
All that data is really, really interesting.
所有这些数据都非常有意思
It speaks to a market that
它同的对话对象
has never really been addressed.
是一个从未得到重视的市场
Ninety-four percent of commerce is still offline.
94%的商业活动还是在线下进行
Only 6% has moved online.
只有6%在网上进行
So, it's a massive, massive market
所以这是个非常非常大的市场
and they have no tools whatsoever.
只是人们没有好的开发工具