For some, this widening of the net is just
对一些人来说 受众范围的扩大
symptomatic of the way the pharmaceutical industry is moving.
正代表了医药工业的前进方向
From about 20 years ago or so,
大约在二十年前
they moved from trying to produce drugs
他们开始从研发针对特定疾病的药物
that treated real illnesses to drugs that treated risk factors.
转向预防疾病的药物
Even those who soundly believe in the
即使是一些坚信抑制素疗效的人
benefits of statins are wary of how medicine is changing.
也对医疗产业的快速变化持谨慎态度
In decades gone by, you would be assessed by your doctor.
过去的几十年里 你的病情由医生诊断
You'd tell him your symptoms,
你告诉他你的症状
he'd do the examinations, he'd do the lab tests
他会做检查 做相关测试
and then you'd get the prescription and only then,
然后你才会得到处方
whereas now the idea seems to
但现在的理念成了
be that "You're alive, you're breathing, you're 52".
只要你活着 你到了一定年纪
You'd better start taking
你最好就要开始吃抑制素
the statins to lower your cholesterol level,
来降低胆固醇含量
"Not because it's good for you but because
不是因为这对你有好处
it's good for everybody and you are part of everybody."
而是对所有人都有好处 你也在其中
Now that must be a drug company's dream,
这一定是制药公司的梦想
because if you've got a
因为如果你有一种药物
pill that's not designed to treat sick people
其受众并不是患病的人群
but a pill that's designed for everybody,
而是所有人