But what we quickly found was
但是百度
that we were still losing money.
仍然在亏损
Although we probably signed up the portal companies that
尽管占中国搜索流量超过80%的门户网站
represent more than 80% of the Chinese search traffic,
都与我们签了约
Baidu still could not survive.
百度的生存问题
That's the challenge we faced.
仍然严峻
So quickly I realized that we were too optimistic
很快我就意识到
about the future of Internet in China.
对于中国互联网的未来看的太过乐观
At that time, there were only about
那时在中国
10 million Internet users.
只有约1000万的网民
And the portal companies didn't want
因此门户网站并不愿意
to buy the best search technology.
购买最好的搜索技术
They only want to buy the cheapest technology.
而是去选择最便宜的
That made our life very hard.
这使公司发展举步维艰
So we realized that and I made the decision:
于是我决定:
we need to change.
必须变革
We need to change to a different business model
公司要改变以往的商业模式
so that we can come up with better technology,
来促进新技术的研发
and the better search technology
而且新技术
can be appreciated by the market.
是受市场欢迎的
So in the summer of 2001,
于是在2001年夏
we decided to switch gear from a backend technology provider
公司决定从后台技术提供者
to a front-end consumer-oriented search service.
转变为直接面向消费者的搜索服务提供方
And on September 20th, 2001, Baidu.com went live.
2001年9月20日 Baidu.com上线了
So it's been more than eight years.
八年多的时间过去了
From that day on, I think we really found
从那天开始,我们终于找到了
what was right for this company.
真正适合公司的东西
Then we really focused on developing the best Chinese
之后,我们致力于开发中国最好的搜索技术
search technology and dominate the market.
并掌控市场