Our relationship with pills
我们和药物的联系
starts from the very beginning of our lives,
从生命的最初开始
from the medicines handed to us by our parents.
从父母递给我们药片时就开始了
I used to get so upset having to
以前必须吃这些止痛药
take these pain killers because I didn't want to,
总让我很烦恼 因为我不想吃
so my mum, I was probably about five,
我当时大概五岁 所以我妈
and my mum used to snap them in half
把它们掰成两半
and tip the actual medication into orange squash for me.
把药倒到橙汁里给我喝
My mum gives me my tablets every day.
我妈妈每天都给我吃药
As we grow up, we begin to pop pills for everything.
随着我们长大 我们开始凡事依赖药物
There are the antibiotics we take to fight off disease,
我们服用抗生素 去抗击疾病
more than one course every two years of our lives.
每两年还要吃不止一个疗程
The 28,000 pain killers we each take
有28000种止痛药供人挑选
to make us feel better.
用于减少痛苦
Pills to stop us having babies.
还有帮人避孕的药片
I actually got pregnant on the pill.
我其实是靠吃药帮助才怀孕的
So...
所以
Medicines to carry us through middle age.
帮人度过中年综合症的药物
Statins.
抑制素[他汀类药物 用以降低胆固醇]
Simvastatin. Simvastatin.
辛伐他汀 还是辛伐他汀
Even tablets to extend our youth
甚至还有帮我们延缓衰老
and improve our performance in bed.
提升床上战斗力的药物