Over the course of your lifetime,
在你的一生中
you're likely to be prescribed more than 14,000 pills.
医生可能给你开了超过一万四千颗药丸
Tiny little spheres of
这种小小的粉末压片
crushed powder with almost magical effects,
有着魔法般的功效
pills that will possibly save
药物可以拯救生命
and extend your life by decades.
并将寿命延长数十年
Any medicine actually is a miracle.
实际上 任何药物都是一种奇迹
If you really think about what a medicine does,
只要你想想药物的工作原理
that you can design a small chemical
人居然能研制出一种化学药品
to interfere with a biological process to alter disease...
调控生物进程 进而治疗疾病...
I mean, it is just astonishing that you ever get there.
我们能做到这一点真的令人嗔目结舌
These miraculous pills
这些神奇药物得以出现
often owe as much to serendipity as science.
所需的运气与研究并重
We started with a drug that we hoped would be effective in angina
我们研制这种药的初衷 是为了治疗心绞痛
and we ended up with a medicine
最后却发现这种药物
that was highly effective in erectile dysfunction.
对治疗阳痿非常有效
This accidental nature of drug discovery means little is known
这种药物发现的偶然性表明
about what they can do until we all take them.
在服用药物前我们对它知之甚少
In many ways you learn as much about
即便投放市场之后
your medicine after it's launched as you knew before.
你对药物许多方面的了解也并无增加