This allows the parts to be joined together in different ways
这些部分可以按不同方式组合起来
to describe fruit the volunteers have never seen before,
用来描述实验者从未见过的水果
a crucial feature of human language.
这是人类语言的一个重要特征
I think lahoki will be this one.
我觉得这个应该叫"lahoki"
Got all five out of five right. Oh, good, excellent.
五道都做对了 真好 太棒了
The really striking thing that we've discovered
真正令我们惊讶的发现是
is that when we run these experiments
在这个实验的最终
what we get at the end looks like a real language,
我们得到的语言看起来像真正的语言
not one of the languages that we see in the world today
并不是当今世界存在的语言
but it looks like a language in that it's got
但看起来像是门语言
those essential defining characteristics that we see in language.
拥有已存在的语言所具有的关键特征
In other words these languages that emerge
也就是说 现在的语言都是
are made up of parts that can be recombined.
由可以重新排列组合的词根构成
This happens gradually, it happens without anyone knowing it
这是一个无人注意到的渐进过程
and yet it is the exact feature of language that makes it unique,
就是这个特征让语言这么独一无二
makes language different from everything else we see in nature.
使得它不同于我们所见到的任何事物