手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲MP3+字幕 > TED演讲之娱乐篇 > 正文

TED演讲(MP3+双语字幕) 第33期:老兵为何恋战(2)

来源:网易 编辑:mike   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

It was named after the platoon medic.

这曾是一个野战排医疗兵的名字。
that had been killed about two months into the deployment.
他在战地工作两个月后就牺牲了。
It was a few plywood B-huts clinging to a side of a ridge,and sandbags, bunkers, gun positions, and there were 20 men up there of Second Platoon, Battle Company.
所谓的哨站就是几个胶合板搭建的兵舍。靠着山脊的一侧而建还有沙袋、掩体和火力点。那里总共有20个人隶属战地连第二排。
I spent most of my time up there.
我在那儿度过了很长的时间。
There was no running water. There was no way to bathe. The guys were up there for a month at a time.
没有自来水。没法洗澡。士兵们在那儿一待就要待一个月。
They never even got out of their clothes.
从来没脱过衣服。
They fought. The worked.
不管是战斗、执行任务。
They slept in the same clothes.
还是睡觉,都穿着同样的衣服。
They never took them off, and at the end of the month, they went back down to the company headquarters, and by then, their clothes were unwearable.
他们从来不脱衣服,等到月底他们被换下来回到大本营时。身上的衣服都不能穿了。
They burned them and got a new set.
他们就把衣服烧掉,再领一身新的。
There was no Internet. There was no phone.
那儿也没法上网,没有电话。
There was no communication with the outside world up there.
与外界完全失去联系。
There was no cooked food.
没有现做的食物。
There was nothing up there that young men typically like:no cars, no girls, no television, nothing except combat.
没有任何年轻人可以喜欢的东西。没车,没妞,没电视,什么都没有。除了战争。
Combat they did learn to like.
于是他们慢慢喜欢上了战争。
I remember one day, it was a very hot day in the spring, and we hadn't been in a fight in a couple of weeks, maybe.
我记得有次,一个大热天。还是春天,当时我们都已经闲了大概好几个星期了。
Usually, the outpost was attacked, and we hadn't seen any combat in a couple of weeks, and everyone was just stunned with boredom and heat.
通常,哨站会遭遇袭击。但是当时已经有几周没有袭击了。每个人都感到晕晕的又无聊又热。
And I remember the lieutenant walking past me,sort of stripped to the waist.
然后我记得一个中尉从我身边走过光着上半身。
It was incredibly hot.
因为当时太热太热了。
Stripped to the waist, walked past me muttering, Oh God, please someone attack us today.
他光着膀子走过,说天哪,来次袭击吧。
That's how bored they were.
他们真是无聊到不行了。
That's war too, is a lieutenant saying, Please make something happen because we're going crazy.
但这也是战争的一部分,就像一个中尉说:给我们点事儿干吧。我们这就要疯了。
To understand that,
要理解他们的想法。
you have to, for a moment, think about combat not morally.
你必须临时从非道德的角度思考一下战争。
that's an important job to do.
这很重要。
but for a moment, don't think about it morally, think about it neurologically.
只是临时地,不从道德的角度。而是神经学的角度。
Let's think about what happens in your brain when you're in combat.
大家现在想一下。当你身处在战争中时,你脑子里会想些什么。
First of all, the experience is very bizarre, it's a very bizarre one.
首先,这种经历是很奇怪的,非常非常奇怪。
It's not what I had expected.
我之前从来没有想到过。
Usually, you're not scared.
通常你不会感到害怕。
I've been very scared in combat,
我曾经害怕过。
but most of the time when I was out there, I wasn't scared.
但大多数时候我在那儿是不感到害怕的。
I was very scared beforehand.
去之前害怕过。
and incredibly scared afterwards, and that fear that comes afterwards can last years.
回来之后也后怕。这种后怕能持续几年的时间。
I haven't been shot at in six years, and I was woken up very abruptly this morning.
我已经有6年的时间没暴露在枪林弹雨细下了。但是今天早上我猛然的惊醒。
by a nightmare that I was being strafed by aircraft, six years later.
就是因为我梦到我被战机扫射。这都过了6年了。
I've never even been strafed by aircraft, and I was having nightmares about it.
我从没被战机扫射过,但做梦却梦到了。
Time slows down.
时间慢了下来。
You get this weird tunnel vision.
你的视角变得狭窄。
You notice some details very, very, very accurately.
能异常敏锐地注意到细枝末节的事情。
and other things drop out.
对其他事情置之不理。
It's almost a slightly altered state of mind.
这种思维方式可以说起了一定的变化。
What's happening in your brain is you're getting an enormous amount of adrenaline.
你的大脑由于异常多的肾上腺素而受到过多刺激。
pumped through your system.
这些刺激扩散到整个体内。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
understand [.ʌndə'stænd]

想一想再看

vt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为<

 
bizarre [bi'zɑ:]

想一想再看

adj. 奇异的,怪诞的
n. 奇异花

联想记忆
ridge [ridʒ]

想一想再看

n. 脊,山脊,山脉

 
altered ['ɔ:ltəd]

想一想再看

v. 改变(alter的过去分词) adj. 改变了的;

 
except [ik'sept]

想一想再看

vt. 除,除外
prep. & conj.

联想记忆
communication [kə.mju:ni'keiʃn]

想一想再看

n. 沟通,交流,通讯,传达,通信

 
abruptly [ə'brʌptli]

想一想再看

adv. 突然地,莽撞地,陡峭地,不连贯地

联想记忆
slightly ['slaitli]

想一想再看

adv. 些微地,苗条地

 
combat ['kɔmbət]

想一想再看

n. 争斗,战斗
vt. 打斗
vi

联想记忆
enormous [i'nɔ:məs]

想一想再看

adj. 巨大的,庞大的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。