I felt Emmett stiffen next to me, and I wondered at his reaction to the word. It meant something more to the three of them than it did to me; I wanted to understand, but there was no opening for me to ask.
我感到坐在我身旁的艾美特僵住了,我仔细忖度着他对这句话的反应。这话对他们三个来说意味深长,但对我却不。我试图理解这句话,但这里没有我公开发问的余地。
"Pull over, Edward." Alice's tone was reasonable, but there was a ring of authority in it I'd never heard before.
“把车开回去,爱德华。”爱丽丝的语气很通情达理,但却带着一种我之前没有听到过的权威的感觉。
The speedometer inched passed one-twenty.
里程计的指针一点一点地挪回了一百二十英里。
"Do it, Edward."
“快点,爱德华”
"Listen to me, Alice. I saw his mind. Tracking is his passion, his obsession — and he wants her, Alice — her, specifically. He begins the hunt tonight."
“听我说,爱丽丝。我看见了他脑子里的想法。追猎是他的爱好,他偏执于此——而且他想要她,爱丽丝——,就是她。他今晚就会开始狩猎。”
"He doesn't know where —"
“他不知道去哪里——”
He interrupted her. "How long do you think it will take him to cross her scent in town? His plan was already set before the words were out of Laurent's mouth."
他打断了她的话。“你觉得他在镇里追寻她的气味能花多少时间?劳伦的话还没出口,他脑子里就已经形成计划了。”
I gasped, knowing where my scent would lead. "Charlie! You can't leave him there! You can't leave him!" I thrashed against the harness.
我顿时领悟过来,知道我的味道将把他引向何方。“查理!你不能把他留在那里!你不能留下他。”我竭力要挣脱安全带。
"She's right," Alice said.
“她是对的。”爱丽丝说道。
The car slowed slightly.
车子稍微减慢了速度。
"Let's just look at our options for a minute," Alice coaxed.
“让我们花一分钟时间浏览一下我们的可选项。”爱丽丝耐心地哄着。
The car slowed again, more noticeably, and then suddenly we screeched to a stop on the shoulder of the highway. I flew against the harness, and then slammed back into the seat.
车子慢了下来,这回更加明显,然后忽然一个急刹车,停在了路基上。我在安全带的保护下才没有飞出去,随即重重地落回座位上。
"There are no options," Edward hissed.
“根本不存在任何选择。”爱德华嘶声说道。
"I'm not leaving Charlie!" I yelled.
“我不会离开查理!”我疾呼道。
He ignored me completely.
他完全无视我。
"We have to take her back," Emmett finally spoke.
“我们得把她带回去。”艾美特最终说话了。
《暮光之城》
与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。