Are these lords really the most suitable people to make the country's laws?
这些议员真是最适合给这个国家制定法律的人吗?
And in the House of Commons,are these men really so honest and intelligent?
在下议院中,这些人是真的诚实而聪明吗?
Do rich men never buy their way into this House?
富人从来不用钱买路进入议院吗?
You say the lawmakers receive no pay,but are you sure that they never ac-cept bribes?
你说法律制定者不收报酬,但是你敢肯定他们从来不收受贿赂吗?
Then he asked questions about our lawcourts.Why are your trials so long and so expensive?
然后他问了一些关于我们的法庭的问题。
How much do your lawyers and judges really know about the laws?
你们的审判为什么那么耗时而费钱?你们的律师和法官究竟知道多少你们的法律?
How carefully do they decide between right and wrong?
他们判定正误有多仔细?
And why,he went on,are you so often at war?Either you enjoy fighting,or you have very difficult neighbours!
为什么,他接着说,你们经常打仗?或者是你们喜欢战争,或者是你们的邻居很难处!
Why do you need an army at all?You would not be afraid of any other country,if you were peaceful people.
究竟为什么你们需要军队?如果你们是热爱和平的人民,你们不应该害怕别的国家。
And in the last hundred years you've done nothing but rob,fight,and murder!
而在过去的百年里,你们除了掠夺、打仗和谋杀没有干别的!
Your recent history shows the very worst effects of cruelty,jealousy,dishonesty,and madness!
你们最近的历史显示了残酷、嫉妒、欺诈和疯狂的最糟糕的结果!
关于《格列佛游记》
相关情节:格列佛的仁怀宽厚和俘获不来夫斯古国舰队的军功受到小人国国王的赏识,佛林奈浦就大为恼火,就联络其他大臣设谋陷害、大加污蔑,最后迫使格列佛逃往不来夫斯库。