And then I would throw in a hooker.
然后,我这里再给你们下个跘儿。
I would say that be part of owning 10% of this person,
在你买进10%你的同学的余生时,
you have to get rid of, to short 10% of somebody else in the class.
你还要卖出10%的另外一个同学的余生。
That is more fun, isn’t it?
这不是很有趣吗?
And you think that who do I want to go short of?
你会想我到底卖谁呢?
Again you wouldn't pick the person with the lowest IQ.
你可能还是不会找IQ最低的。
You would start to think about the person really who turned you off for one reason or another.
你可能会选那个让你厌恶的同学,
And quality, quite a part from their academic achievement.
以及那些令你讨厌的品质。
Their qualities, you don’t want to be around them, other people don't want to be around them.
那个你不愿打交道的人,其他人也不愿意与之打交道的人。
What were the qualities that lead to that?
是什么品质导致了那一点呢?
That will be a whole bunch of things.
你能想出一堆来,
You know that is a person a little egotistical, or a person who is greedy, who is slightly dishonest, cuts comers, so all of these qualities.
比如不够诚实,爱占小便宜等等这些,
And you can write those down on the right land side.
你可以把它们写在纸的右栏。
As you look at those qualities on the left and right hand side, there is one interesting thing about them.
当你端详纸的左栏和右栏时,会发现有意思的一点。
It is not the ability to throw a football 60 yards.
能否将橄榄球扔出60码之外并不重要,
It is not the ability to nm the 100 yard dash in 9.3 seconds.
是否能在9秒3之内跑100码也不重要,
It is not being the best looking person in the class.
是否是班上最好看的也无关大局。
They are all qualities that if you really want to have the ones on the left hand side, you can have them.
真正重要的是那些在纸上左栏里的品质。
I mean they are qualities of behavior, temperament, character, that achievable,
这些行为,脾气,和性格的品质,都是可以做到的。
they are not forbidden to anybody in this group.
且对任何人都是开放的。
And if you look at the qualities on the right hand side, the ones you find that turned you off in other people,
再看看那些右栏里那些让你厌恶的品质,
there is not a quality there that you have to have.
没有一项是你想追求的。
You have, you can get rid of it.
如果你有的话,你也可以改掉。
You can get rid of it a lot easier at your age than at my age,
在你们这个年纪,改起来比在我这个年纪容易得多,
because most behaviors is (are) habitual.
因为大多数这些行为都是逐渐固定下来的。
And they say the chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken.
人们都说习惯的枷锁开始轻得让人感受不到,一旦你感觉到的时候,已经是沉重得无法去掉了。
And there is no question about it.
这是毫无疑问的。
I see people with these self-destructive behavior patterns at my age or even twenty years younger and they really are entrapped by them.
我见过很多我这个年纪或者比我还年轻20岁的人,有着自我破坏性习惯而又难以自拔。
They go around ,and they do things that turn off other people right and left.
他们走到哪里都招人厌恶。
And they don't need to be that way but by a certain point they get so they can hardly change it.
他们不需要那样,但是他们已经无可救药。
But at your age you can have any habits, any patterns of behavior that you wish.
但是在你们这个年纪,任何习惯和行为模式都可以有,只要你们愿意。
It is simply a question of which you decide.
就只是一个选择的问题。
Ben Graham in his low teens looked around at the people he admired,
就象本杰明·格拉姆一样,在他还是十几岁的少年时,他四顾看看那些令人尊敬的人,
and he said that, “You know, I want to be admired, so why don’t I just behave like them?"
他想:我也要做一个被人尊敬的人,为什么我不象那些人一样行事呢?
And he found that there was nothing impossible about behaving like them.
然后他发现那样去做并不是不可能的。
And similarly he did the same thing on the reverse side in terms of getting rid of those qualities.
他对那些令人讨厌的品质采取了与此相反的方式而加以摒弃。
So I would suggest that if you write those qualities down and think about them a while and make them habitual,
所以我说,如果你把那些品质都写下来,好好思量一下,择善而从,
you will be the one you want to buy 10% off when you are all through.
你自己可能就是那个你愿意买入10%余生的人!
And the beauty of it is that you already own 100% of yourself and you are stuck with it.
更好的是,你自己本就100%的拥有你自己了。
So you might as well be that person, that somebody else.
所以你也会成为那样的人。