I've always been an optimist
我天生乐观,
and I suppose that is rooted in my belief that the power of creativity and intelligence can make the world a better place.
坚信人类凭创造力和聪明才智可以让世界日益美妙,这一设想一直根植于我的内心深处。
For as long as I can remember, I've loved learning new things and solving problems.
自从记事起,我就热衷于接触新事物、挑战难题。
So when I sat down at a computer for the first time in seventh grade, I was hooked.
可想而知,我上七年级时第一次坐在计算机前是何等着迷,如入无我之境。
It was a clunky old Teletype machine
那是一台锵锵作响的旧牌机器,
and it could barely do anything compared to the computers we have today.
和我们今天拥有的计算机相比,它相当逊色几乎一无所用,
But it changed my life.
但正是它改变了我的生活。
When my friend Paul Allen and I started Microsoft 30 years ago,
30年前,我和朋友保罗·艾伦创办微软时,
we had a vision of "a computer on every desk and in every home,"
我们幻想实现“在每个家庭、在每张办公桌上都有一台计算机”,
which probably sounded a little too optimistic at a time when most computers were the size of refrigerators.
这在大多数的计算机体积如同冰箱的尺寸的年代,听起来有点异想天开。
But we believed that personal computers would change the world.
但是我们相信个人电脑将改变世界。
And they have.
今天看来果真如此。
And after 30 years, I'm still as inspired by computers as I was back in seventh grade.
30年后,我仍然象上七年级的时候那样为计算机而狂热着迷。
I believe that computers are the most incredible tool we can use to feed our curiosity and inventiveness -- to help us solve problems
我相信计算机是我们用来满足好奇心及发明创造的最神奇的工具——有了它们的帮助,
that even the smartest people couldn't solve on their own.
甚至是最聪明的人凭自身力量无法应对的难题都将迎刃而解。
Computers have transformed how we learn, giving kids everywhere a window into all of the world's knowledge.
计算机已经改变了我们的学习方式,为全球各地的孩子们开启了一扇通向大千世界知识的窗户。
They're helping us build communities around the things we care about
它可以帮我们围绕我们关注的事物建立“群”,
and to stay close to the people who are important to us, no matter where they are.
让我们和那些对自己重要的人保持密切联系,不管他们身处何方。